110 Octane!?

bobbys9350

Mar 30, 2005
welll, im taking my car out one last time before winter and im going to the track sunday to race my friends camaro. Is it OK to run 110(Unleaded of course) ocatne and bump the timing? it donest like it past 13 right now with 93. what could i bump the timing to SAFELY with 110? i looooove the way it smells!!! as far as ignition goes i got msd blaster, cap, rotor, and taylor 409 race wires with motorcraft plugs. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

bobbys9350 said:
Is it OK to run 110(Unleaded of course) ocatne and bump the timing?

Its ok in that it wont hurt anything, but it will be a huge waste of money. You may even see a decrease in power because your low compression engine doesnt need it. I run 87 through the engine in my sig with 12* initial and it doesnt mind one bit.

Well i'll put my $.02 into this one. Aside from all i know about ignition and timing and octanes, and how i can agree that low compression stock engines don't need a ton of octane, and i can say that too much octane with a stock ignition will cause more harm than help....aside from all that, i ran a new best ET with my car last month with 110 octane, and my long block is bone stock and my ignition is as well. A lot of my better ET had to do with managing to get a little more traction than usual, but my car was running like a champ...take that for what it's worth.

blake89stang said:
it wont help ur car at all. but if u had a ls1 camaro or T/A it would help. Those cars have to run 93 stock or they ping.
I run 87 octane with no pinging....computer pulls timing automatically. I've heard of some people running 85 octane. The owners manual says run 91+ for best performace though.

mattkimsey said:
I run 87 octane with no pinging....computer pulls timing automatically. I've heard of some people running 85 octane. The owners manual says run 91+ for best performace though.
my buddys 02 ws6 m6 pings when he runs anything under 93(and gets 27mpg somehow) car has slp lid, filter and full exhaust.

blake89stang said:
my buddys 02 ws6 m6 pings when he runs anything under 93(and gets 27mpg somehow) car has slp lid, filter and full exhaust.

Not hard for a 6 speed car to get that gas milage, my LT1 car got in the mid 20's on the highway with 3.73's. My friend's LS1 cars all get mid 20's to 30 mpg on the highway. Yes they will ping or the knock sensors will usually freak out on lower octane.