11psi pulley on and running

I have a KB on a 2002GT 14psi. Bottom end built. 90mm Maf, 42#. Largest tb. Making about 430rwh/440tq. 93 Octane. Denso 2 sizes cooler.
Ran a 14psi Vortech with cooler (441/392tq).

Issue is heat generated by all that boost for longer period of time.
150 degrees. I even am using a larger water holding tank.

Had to cut back timing down low to prevent detonation.

Initial plan is to back off to 12psi with increase timing. Playing the drop boost increase timing game. Hope I end up a bit higher.

Considering larger heat exchange . Not sure I want to go water injection since its a sure thing it will go boom if I run out of water or it just stops working.

Trying to find a Knock protection system. Seams not many have implementations for a coil over system.

• Sponsors (?)

rods.jpg

Tick tock, tick tock....anybody hear that?

Attachments

• rods.jpg
    rods.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 60
Block strength is :bs: A modular block will handle more power than you probably will ever put down. I don't think I've ever heard of a modular BLOCK failing. Cases where a rod gets thrown or piston blows apart and nukes the block doesn't count.

The lower compression ratio is a valid point, not sure to what extent though.

GinoGT said:
Block strength is :bs: A modular block will handle more power than you probably will ever put down. I don't think I've ever heard of a modular BLOCK failing. Cases where a rod gets thrown or piston blows apart and nukes the block doesn't count.

The lower compression ratio is a valid point, not sure to what extent though.
yeah the CR may be lower but its still packing those crappy hypereutic pistons.

YellowJacketGT said:
I have a KB on a 2002GT 14psi. Bottom end built. 90mm Maf, 42#. Largest tb. Making about 430rwh/440tq. 93 Octane. Denso 2 sizes cooler.
Ran a 14psi Vortech with cooler (441/392tq).

Issue is heat generated by all that boost for longer period of time.
150 degrees. I even am using a larger water holding tank.

Had to cut back timing down low to prevent detonation.

Your numbers seem awefully low for 14psi. :scratch: KB's site says you should be making more than that with no problems. Have you been working with Ken or anyone to get that fixed? I'll bet he would be interested to find out about your situation.

4.6 Rocket said:
Is it true that the 99-00 windsor blocks can handle more boost than the romeo due to the strength of the block and the compression ratio being lower?
The issue isnt in the block both are about the same. The issue is the stock rods and pistons. Hyperpathetic pistons and thin cracked cap rods are not the best choice for a 450+ HP motor they tend to want out of the block.

Congrats on 11psi must be fun as hell just dont push your luck too far.

MT1083 said:
Your numbers seem awefully low for 14psi. :scratch: KB's site says you should be making more than that with no problems. Have you been working with Ken or anyone to get that fixed? I'll bet he would be interested to find out about your situation.

The 507 RWH number reported in the MM&FF assumes race fuel 11.1 A/F and 23 degrees of timing.

There is another GT that has heads and cams putting down about 500 pump gas. They too have heat / timing issues. Got to get that puppy cooled down..

Car is running awesome. My local ford dealership had a 40th bday party for the mustang. I talk to alot of mod motor mustang guys. They talked me into jumping boost to 14psi. They said at my altitude and a good toon it should run awesome.. Guess we'll find out. The pulley is on its way.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Ibeyorsuperman said:
Pulley swap was about 2 min. I see 11psi at about 2700 RPM and she just pulls all day long. I ran it hard for about 30 min, brought her home and checked the plugs. there perfect. no sign of detonation. Im running about 94 octane. Feels like a big block and I love it. Especially with my new upper and lower control arms, and the 315 BFG Drag Radials...really plants all that power.
How do you like the BFG Drag Radials? Could you post pics of your car with those tires on? I'm still making up my mind about the tires I should get...Nittos or BFG? :shrug:

Sorry to wake up a year old thread.. lol.. but how are the 11psi pulley guys' engines doing? I've been running the 10psi pulley for almost a year myself and am getting a little greedy to go up to the 11 :D Did you guys have to put the Boost-A-Spark on like the Kenne Belle website recommends for 11psi and higher?

Ive been running 12/13 boost on my stock automatic 01, 90 maf, 42 injectors, 70mm tb, dragon intake & spacer with a mail in diablo chip for 1k miles. I am going soon to get a tune and dyno thou. I have not had any problems it all and can easily spin the tires (now toyo 275's in the rear) at 40 mph.