12V outlet in dash switched with the key?

dawater

Mar 7, 2007
Is there an easy way to make the 12V power outlet in the dash so it is switched with the key? I have a radar detector and I have to either manually turn it off and on, or unplug it every time I get out of the car, or it will stay on all the time.

Maybe I should hardwire it in like I did on my GTO. Does anyone know of a tech article for this on the S197's? It was pretty easy on the goat, but I didn't really like how I had it hooked into the fuse block.

• Sponsors (?)

I went out to hard wire it in, and can't figure out how to take apart the overhead lights. I'm not sure if I need to just pull on it, or if it needs to slide back then pull. Can anyone tell me? I tried a search, but can't find any specifics using "overhead" or "hardwire" as search words.

For anyone keeping up with this thread, taking it apart went real easy. Just pull down pretty hard on the overhead lights and it will come apart.

I'm working on the wiring now.

Does anyone know what that electronic board in the overhead console is for? Are they the seat belt chimes or something? I sure didn't expect to see that board...