13" Cobra brakes on front, WHAT TO DO WITH REARS out of these 4 choices?!?

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
Ok now that I got my 13" Front Cobra Brake kit with slotted/drilled rotors and SS lines what should I do for my rear?

I know upgrading the rear doesnt do much, but I want it to look good is my main concern, but at the same time if I can get some peformance out of it that would be nice as well.

Here is what im thinking.

A) Get matching rear rotors, paint my rear calipers red to match front.
$150ish + new pads. (what size are stock rears?)

B) Get the Baer 13" Rear kit that relocates my caliper, paint calipers.
$250ish + new pads.

C) Get 10th anny Mach1 rear calipers, get the matching 11.65" cobra rear rotors.
$330ish + new pads.

D) Get 13" Kit with powercoated cobra rear calipers.
$500ish WITH new pads.

Now I notice you cant/dont upgrade your rear lines to SS lines?

What are your opinions on this? I think either option B or D are in my mind because that would look awesome!, but would performance be worse on D then on Option C? Keep in mind I have read the performance gain is minimal upgrading to cobra rears, I dont autoX or anthing THIS IS A STREET CAR so I am really just doing it for looks unless it will make my braking actually WORSE with the 13" kit and painted rear calipers.

Thanks for your help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

The only problem i see with 13" rotors in the back is, if you want to mount a set of 15" drag slicks in the back any time, they wouldnt clear the rotors. Im not sure if you every plan on goin to the track with slicks, but just a thought.
otherwise, i would go for the cobra/mach rear setup or the baer 13 conversion

Thanks for the thought, I understand now why not many run that. Im not really a track guy right now but im not sure if im going to change my mind down the road.

Neverless do you think that if I go with the 13" Rear baer kit, should I get the 13" rear kit that the cobra rear calipers will work with or will I not notice a diffrence between the cobra calipers vs my stock GTs on the 13" Rotors?

I allways thought the GT and Cobra Calipers were the exact same only diffrence was that they are designed to fit the 11.65" rotor which is slightly thicker then the GT 10.25"??? rotor (what size is the GT rotor anyways?") Am I right here...

Do you think the 13" rear kit will brake better then the 11.65" rears?

Sorry for all my questions lol.

13" rotors in the rear is absolutely unnecessary. if you are intent on changing the rears, i would go with the OEM cobra stuff at most. remember, under normal braking, the ABS system is biased to the front. looks wise, i thing 13" rotors out back would look funny as well.

i say go with the 13" if you are going for looks the gt and cobra calipers are the same, the pads are the only difference . the cobra rotors are thicker . the cobra set up will be harder to instal because you have to pull axles ,the other set up just bolts on .i have the baer back brakes and they work great

yeah they bolt on to your stock brackets then you have to move the anti moan bracket a little bit but way easier than the cobra or bullit stuff where you pull the axles to change the bigger brackets. onebad95 put them on they looked great fills up the 17" i wheel nice:nice:

I have the 13" Baer kit on the rear and I think it matchs the front perfectly. Doesn't look weird at all. The only good point made so far about not doing 13's in the rear is the fact that can't put anything smaller than a 17" rim on. My car is not a track car, and when I do take it, drag radials will be all I need. And if I absolutely need to, I can always put my stock rotor back on and remove the relocating bracket in a half hour.

Dave

Know any kits that use vented 13" rotors?

Thats the main reason, when I get money, Im gonna stick with the 11.65" vented rotors. Theres an 11.65 kit at summit for 180 bucks, I think everything is included except pads. Although dont quote me on that.

go with stainless steel lines

V8SHME8 said:
Get the 179$ conversion from Ford and buy some pads.

What conversion from Ford? I looked on the FRPP site and could only find calipers.

I have a 68 that has an 8.8" axle from a 95 underneath it. I need new calipers and was thinking about apgrading to the vented Cobra disks as well.