13's too much to ask?

351carlo

Mar 9, 2004
Philadelphia
Well guys, with the new trans being built, I want to know if my current setup should see 13's.

'70 351 Cleveland 2v heads
600 Edelbrock
Performer RPM intake
Stock Block
Hooker Long tubes (obviously)
Flowmaster 40's
3.73's Locked
FMX Trans new with Trans Go Shift kit

I realize I'm asking a lot, but I want to know what I can expect before modding the block at all. I want to throw on a new cam, roller rockers and clean up the heads. I'm waiting though so that I can do the block with new pistons and bore it as well.

13's possible before any internal work?

• Sponsors (?)

The single biggest mistake people make is over-carbing their engines. While I agree that you could handle a bigger carb, unless you're running out of fuel at WOT, there is no need to go bigger. You may want to keep that Road Demon around though. I'm sure you'll swap cams eventually and its cheaper to own it, than to buy a new one.

I'm keeping the carb around, but it looks like I'm yanking my motor soon, so the cam will be in it shortly.

My current list of mods by the end of the summer looks like this:

670 Demon
Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6-AL box
MSD Distributor
Comp Cam- 260 or 268??
Comp Cam Roller Rockers- What ratio is recommended 1.6 or 1.7?
1 3/4 Hooker Headers
2.5 Inch Flowmaster Exhaust

FMX Tranny w/ Shift Kit
Still need to find a Torque converter

9 inch w/ 3.73's

My tires in the rear are currently 235/60/14, beings I have Magnums the whole way around. The tires are brand new,and the wheels are as well. Came with the car. When I go to the track I'll probably have some junk 15 rims with some Mickey Thompson's. Eventually I want to upgrade to 15 inch Magnum's in the rear with some Hoosier 2 groove cheater slicks (DOT Approved).

Suspension stays stock for now. I'm praying for 13's with that setup.