16 year old in a 2005??

I can personally think of a few 16-20 year olds who thought they were up to it as well. Out of these we have one that couldn't afford to drive his car, more wrecks and write-offs than I can count with one hand, 2 deaths, 1 coma, 1 guy that spent almost a year in the hospital, 1 guy that's married to a wheelchair for the rest of his life and all kinds of other unpleasantness.

For every Jeff Gordon, there are 10,000 idiots that have no idea what the hell they're doing.

• Sponsors (?)

shatner saves said:
I can personally think of a few 16-20 year olds who thought they were up to it as well. Out of these we have one that couldn't afford to drive his car, more wrecks and write-offs than I can count with one hand, 2 deaths, 1 coma, 1 guy that spent almost a year in the hospital, 1 guy that's married to a wheelchair for the rest of his life and all kinds of other unpleasantness.

For every Jeff Gordon, there are 10,000 idiots that have no idea what the hell they're doing.

Good post dude.

shatner saves said:

yup. i can agree with that.

but i guess what i was trying to say is that, being 16 years old doesnt mean you cant handle that car. being 16 years old means you make retarded decisions when driving.

so if you can respect the cars power and dont drive stupid, then you can for sure handle a high hp car. however, if you are one to take stupid risks for no reason other than maybe to show off, then it is not a smart choice. :nice:

I've always said your fist car should be a dump. your gonna back into stuff, hit trash cans, etc. It doesnt make you a bad driver its just lack of experiance. You will have a great deal of respect for a new car if you drive a car like the beat down 1987 Nissan Stanza i drive as my first car. It also teaches you about cars cuz its gonna break down on you. Its just a good experiance for a young person. You sound like a resposible kid but a bran new car at such a young age, you might get spoiled on it and take it for granted.

I recomend you buy a little Honda, dirve it for about two years, save some money so instead of leasing the car you can but it. And who knows, maybe if the Shelby GT500 is out, you can afford that.

If you do decide to buy a the new stang, he has to either buy it for you or he has to co-sighen it cuz you have to be 18 to finace your onwn car, its not the delarship who's gonna decide weather you can but the car, its the bank you get the loan from and they wont give it to you.

When I was 15 my dad said I could have a mustang, specifically a 5.0. For 2 months after my bday i drove a huge 87 grand marquis. On haloween 98 we bought my 93 gt, which i still use almost everyday. I had 1000 of the 7350 that we payed. I worked that summer full time for a rental company and my fathers company and payed a good bit off. Insurance was high but man who is quoting some of you guys.

Basically where this is leading is that i was a 16 year old with a gt and i have never had a ticket in my life, not saying i have never acted crazy. But before i did anything in my car i seriosuly thought about what could happen. I always used my judgement and never drove drunk or felt i was the king of the road. Yeah i tested it out here and there and did the occasionla donuts in the parking lot. But i always stayed outta trouble and made sure to never show off around freinds or whatnot.

Its true that a 16 year old has no experience and can be very dangerous behind the wheel. But I alos feel that there are as many 30 year olds that never lost those habits and are just as bad as the day they started. If you choose to be responsible and become knowledgeable about what you have i SAY GO FOR IT. If you screw up, its all part of the learning process.

I am almost 22 now and have my original 93gt, a 99 saleen, and 3 series bmw. Be smart and good things will come to you.

I don't think legally a 16 yr old cold get a loan because it is voidable till you are 18. You can get a loan with a co-signer though! Just find someone whoo trusts you enough and has good credit and you should be able to get the car!

Jakob

Trust me, there is no way you would be able to get that car on your own. I just went through all this just a short time ago. I am 19, and I own a 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra. It took me a month of hagaling with the dealer to get things done. The simple reason being that I was too young so I didnt have enough credit. They didnt want to finance me by myself. The only way they said I was walking out of there with that car on my own, was if I put $10000 down. Yes I said $10 Grand! Needless to say I now have my car that I always wanted. Oh and one more thing, honestly, once you and your dad both realize what the insurance payments are going to be, you'll flip. Trust me...I know.
And yeah, 16, I don't think its about handling the car....its the maturity level, and making smart moves....something a 16 year old is not gonna do when they are tempted to play or show off. Just my thoughts.

16 year old & insurance

Any 16 year old is going to jack up the insurance. My husband and I both have clean driving records, use our 03 GT for pleasure only (less than 10,000 miles per year), and my son is an A/B student who will qualify for a good student discount. Our car insurance will more than double when he gets his license. And I want a Cobra soooooo bad ... will have to wait until my son gets older. :(

AdamD said:
Hey

IM 16 and want to buy a car. Would it be possible to lease the car, meaning i pay a certain amount of cash each month to pay for it all???I have the cash and i work my ass off, im not spoiled or anything and i really want a mustang.Maybe, my dad would get the car and say its his, but i would just be the one driving it the whole time and giving him all of the payments. and yes, i know insurance will be high on a mustang GT with the v8 and all, but i have a great job that pays well. Would the ford dealership let a 16 year old lease a new car, or do you have to be an adult?In that case I might just have it under my dads name,and i will drive and pay for it. Yes, i know i cant modify it, but i dont care, its stunning stock.

-adam
ps. no bashing!

I bought a car when I was 17. My dad got the loan I payed for it. Course it was only a $10,000 loan. Not some 25g car. Insurance was in my dads name too, I was insured on a cheap VW. I paid insurance for my 65 mustang and an 89 VW (the mustang had $20,000 appraised insurance on it, full-coverage) cost me $130 a month. Im 18 now, sold the 65, and made enough profit I paid cash for a 67. Listen to me, CLOSELY, YOU DONT WANT CAR PAYMENT! They are the worst thing ever. I sold a 38,000 original mile 65 Fastback with all the options merely to get out of car payments. Your 16, going to college in 2 years or so, so you'll still owe 3-4 years of payments on the car. Where are you going to come up with $1500 a month for car payments/insurance/gas. I dont know any college kid who has that kinda dough, most are doing well to put gas in their paid for car. Do me a BIG favor, get you an $8,000 fox, 94-95 GT, or my personal favorite (duh, im on my second) a classic stang. Then you can pay it off, mod it, have fun with it, cheaper insurance and a whole-lotta ricer killin. Another thing, say you do get it, and you deal with payments for a year (like I did). On a new car, if you decide to get rid of it after a year you will loose a WHOLE lotta money.

Again, you need to get a 5.0 5spd fox, a 5.0 94-95 GT/cobra, or a classic. Have fun with it, and enjoy having money left over and a car that is YOURS and you wont have to give up AND in the event you did have to give it up, youd get nearly if not all your money outta it.

A 16 year old can rescinding a contract, so there's no way a dealer would lease or sell you a car. There was an old court case that I read in law school about a minor buying a car, wrecking it, and rescinding the contract. The court held in favor of the minor.

Even if you can get your dad to cosign, don't get it. You'll be a slave to the payments, you're too young to know not to park it next to a wreck and get door dings, park it in a ghetto, or someone might get jealous a key it. Start with something cheaper.

66stangowner said:
I've always said your fist car should be a dump. your gonna back into stuff, hit trash cans, etc. It doesnt make you a bad driver its just lack of experiance. You will have a great deal of respect for a new car if you drive a car like the beat down 1987 Nissan Stanza i drive as my first car. It also teaches you about cars cuz its gonna break down on you. Its just a good experiance for a young person. You sound like a resposible kid but a bran new car at such a young age, you might get spoiled on it and take it for granted.

I've gotten into three close calls since I've been driving my 2001 Mustang (since August). I got it when I was 16 and I'm now 17. One of the close calls was not my fault, the other was in bad weather, and the other was just dumb. The only thing I actually "hit" was nicking a curb at Rite-Aid...and it was just the lip of the wheel.

Here's the case...

On June 17, 1924, the parties executed their written contract whereby the plaintiff agreed to purchase from the defendant a Stutz automobile for the stipulated purchase price of $ 917.12, $ 450 thereof to be paid upon the execution of the agreement and the balance in equal monthly installments of $ 51.90 each. Plaintiff satisfied the initial payment by delivering to defendant a Ford automobile and thereafter paid in cash the sum of $ 165.75. On October 7, 1924, the plaintiff in writing notified the defendant of his disaffirmance of this contract, offered to restore the Stutz car and demanded payment of the sum of $ 615.75. During the period of three and two-thirds months when the plaintiff had possession of the car he had driven it something over three thousand miles, using it for both business and pleasure. While driving the car he had been in collision with another car and had destroyed one of the fenders; he had stripped the gears and otherwise damaged the car to the extent of $ 128 in repairs which the defendant was required to pay. When he attempted to rescind the contract he made no offer to restore the consideration nor specifically to reimburse defendant for the use of the car, the depreciation through ordinary use, or the cost of the repairs. He merely offered to restore the car in its damaged condition and demanded that the defendant pay him the sum of $ 615.75 in money though he, the plaintiff, had covered $ 450 of that sum by the delivery to defendant of a second-hand Ford car.

The dealer got screwed, but at least the court made the kid fix the car first.

He can enter a contract but his parents will have to sign their lives away to make it happen. There is no way he could do it on his own. Its just like those credit cards they have now for kids to get a jump start on credit. I doubt they would offer that to lease a car to a 16 year old, but they may do it if he buys the vehicle. His parents would be the primary borrower and he would be a secondary. My first brand new car was my 93 Cobra when I was 21 and I had no problems getting it. I don't know how responsible he claims to be, I was 16 too, and I was pretty responsible but I still messed around too. I always had V8 rwd cars from the start. I would never let my kid buy a brand new mustang at 16. I would let him get an older one and learn to be responsible. Forget the fact that its a mustang, you need to learn to be responsible with a car period. If I were you I would settle for an older Mustang and in a few years once you get your life together I would consider a new one. I only bought my Cobra when I was about done with College and working fulltime and planning to get married and buy a house and have kids etc. Also, IMO, mustangs are not the best for daily driving. Not saying there are bad, just saying its nice to have a beat around car. I drive and 85 Audi as my beater and I love that thing too. I've had old VW and Toyotas as beater too. Hold off on the new Stang. You're still young and you could have more fun with and older one right now. You will have money to do stuff where as with the new one you wouldn't. Trust me I've been there as has I'm sure most of us in this forum.

I see that a lot of people are helping this kid out with good comments. However, I have to agree with some, please don't judge this kid because of his age. Hell, I am 25 and I am sure some people would state that I was to young to own a 300HP car.

It all depends on how responsible you are. I purchased my '65 coupe with a 289 when I was eighteen. Did the car ever get away from me at time, especially on a wet road? Yes! Did I ever get on a straight-away all alone and go WOT. Yes and it scared the ***** out of me (nothing like a old car shaking like hell at 125mph)! However, how many of you "old" and more "experienced" drivers can say that your car has never gotten away from you or that you have never went WOT? If you are doing 100+ mph and a tire that blows out or the animal that runs across the road really doesn't care if you ar 16 or 45. Either way, you are toast.

As for stating to buy a dump for your fist car because you will back into trash cans, etc is a bunch of BS. My first accident of any type that was my fault came after 7 years of driving. And to this day I still feel, and so does my insurance company, that it wasn't my fault. It is a long story but it ended up going to an arbitrator.

I just don't like to see people getting knocked because of their age. Also, since we would be driving his "dream car" he may be a bit more careful to take car of it.

later,

Chris