17 x 10.5's or 18 x 10's in the rear

OSJ

Dec 11, 2008
South of Boston
I've searched a bit about this and not really come up with anything conclusive. Basically, does anyone have any good pics of the two set ups I mentioned? I ask because I want to see just how much fender overhang difference there is between the two.
Thanks. Sorry if it's a monotonous question.

• Sponsors (?)

I cant really help you in the 18's...
This is what 17x10.5's with 315's look like + 1/4" spacer... Sits FLUSH with the fender, no rolling...

Sorry I know its not the best pic.

p1010104tp9.jpg

Here you go:

fat_in_back.jpg

Personally, I think the 17"ers with 315s is the way to go.

That image above is my old Nitto 555 street tires, but my current HTR-Zs look pretty much the same.

I really dislike paying MORE to go SLOWER. That's just my take on it, of course. Obviously 18s do look a bit better, just not enough better to justify paying more to go slower, IMO.

That is just what you do when you chop as much sidewall as 18" wheels do.

Also:
More metal + less rubber = heavier
and
heavier = slower

My 315 sized Nitto 555 street tires did rub, but my current 315 sized Sumitomo HTR-Z tires do not rub. The HTR-Zs are the really cheap ones. I got a pair of those for less than a single new 555 after I hopped a curb and blew one of my 555s.

Another view w/ the old 555s:

machined_lips_ftw.jpg

The last view I have:

new_look.jpg

i know everyone says dont go with 18s cause its slower but if u can get a set of track wheels/tires like i have id deffinately go with 18s, they look so badass on 99-04 bodys, so leave the "slow 18s" for street use, shouldnt be goin fast enough on the street to even worry about cuttin a few extra pounds for 17s anyway, id go with looks for street use

Hmmm... I guess the previous owner must have had longer studs installed already.... I'll double chack but I'm pretty sure that I got a good 5 turns before the lug nut hit the wheeel....

Maybe the FR500's have a different backspacing? IDK?:shrug:

i checked again yesterday, and when fully torqued, it only grabes 2-3/4 threads:eek:, and im having the hardest time finding longer studs:notnice:

Oh your car looks really awesome BTW:nice:

I really dislike paying MORE to go SLOWER. That's just my take on it, of course. Obviously 18s do look a bit better, just not enough better to justify paying more to go slower, IMO.

That is just what you do when you chop as much sidewall as 18" wheels do.

Also:
More metal + less rubber = heavier
and
heavier = slower

hmm how much do 17x10.5's with 315's weigh? my quess would be the same as my 18's:shrug:

I'm honestly not too concerned about wieght, as it is going to be just my daily driver, though it is something i've thought about. The 17.5's really fill out the rear nicely, and even without the spacers they seem to sit pretty flush with the fender. I'm looking at the Saleen style wheels in the 18x10's, or some Cobra R or Bullet's in the 17x10.5's.