17's Or 18's Need Input.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
OK,...So there'll be no mistake this time around I'm looking at wheels for my project Fairmont.

1y45.jpg

^^ This car is my "role model" I basically intend to plagiarize this car,...across the board.
Do those wheels look like they're 17's or 18's?

I know that last time I chose 17's and afterward thought my tire choices were hobbled by that. CJ Pony parts has the exact Chinese repro versions of above (or a number of other choices) wheel/tire combo already mounted on Sumitomo rubber in a 17x9+17 x10.5 w/ 245 rubber in front, and 315 rubber in back for $1195.00.

Or I can get the same style (or, also a number of other choices) in a 18 x 9+18 x 10. It becomes a little more pricy however, as the tires offered go to something like a BFG,or Nitto 555 additionally, the rear tires are only 285's because of the 1/2" narrower rear wheel offered in the package. they come in starting at 1485.00

I'd be crazy however to buy them separate, ( w/o tires) as those prices are mounted, balanced, and shipped. I'll be accepting the packages as they're offered for that reason, regardless.

So,....the question again 17's or 18's?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

17's, if you want the DD wheels in the back go 18s. the 17s come in a 10.5 rear width which has been giving me fits. The 18s are 10" which makes life alot easier when rubber actually meets the road and not your inner fender.

17's, if you want the DD wheels in the back go 18s. the 17s come in a 10.5 rear width which has been giving me fits. The 18s are 10" which makes life alot easier when rubber actually meets the road and not your inner fender.

I was expecting to minitub the rears anyway. This will be a 3 link rear w/ a torque arm, and panhard bar locator. The 10.5's are 6.85 backspaced,...that'll leave a lot sticking outboard though. I think I'll take your advice, and come down to the 10" wide 18,....I'd really like an 8" up front instead of the 9,...because I just know that bitc h will rub like a mofo in a corner, as low as I intend to dump it.

to be honest I havent had any rubbing up front. If you dont mind mini tubbing there is no reason not to go with the 17" wheels and run a 335 out the back end.