17x8 - 17x9.5 - 17x11 - need opinion which??

02GT02

Jan 8, 2004
17x8 - 17x9.5 - 17x11
These are my choices?
Need some opinions on which setup to go with?
I'm thinking 11's too big for rear so probably go with 9.5 but what about fronts? Is 9.5 too much for front?

2002 GT (lowered 1-1/4")

• Sponsors (?)

17x11 are not too big for the rear unless rotating tires is a problem for you. I have the 17x10.5 in the rear and they look awesome! Tires come out right in line with the fender and they just look mean! I say go for it. I don't know about the front...8.5 might be your best bet.

Andy

Hey Darkhorse...

DarkHorse164 said:
:stupid:

Here's a link to some pics of my car with 9's up front and 10.5's in back. It'll help ya get an idea of what it'll look like.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=gsxr1_pilot164&password=84211293

Since you can't rotate your tires, how has the tread wear been? I want the chrome bullets you've got...they are damn sweet,but I drive 80 miles a day, five days a week to work and I'm worried I'll go through tires quickly without proper rotation. Advice?

2002BLKGT said:
Since you can't rotate your tires, how has the tread wear been? I want the chrome bullets you've got...they are damn sweet,but I drive 80 miles a day, five days a week to work and I'm worried I'll go through tires quickly without proper rotation. Advice?

Good question. I've had them on the car for a couple months. The car is really not a "daily driver" so I can't give you a realistic treadwear claim. I *might* get the car out a couple times over a weekend, and it's usually just local trips of 20-40 miles. Treadwear...that's too dependant on tire brands. I want the look more than I want to worry about tire rotation/replacement so that wasn't a factor in my decision. I was told, though, that the tires I'm running are good for about 15-16K before the wear indicators are flush with the remaining tread. I don't spin the tires much anymore, either. These tires ain't cheap :nonono:

If you need better wear, I'd suggest BFGoodrich G-force KDWS tires. They have a 400 treadwear rating (stock rubber is 260-280), but perform really well under all conditions! The plus is treadlife and relatively low cost. the downs are that they don't make a 315/35. The widest rear is a 285/40/17, which will fit fine on the 10.5" rear rim. Go to tirerack.com and enter this tire option in to see details.

I use to have 17x9.5 up front on 285s with the same 17x11 on 315 in the rear. I had no issues with rubbing, front or rear. Besides, they look great! You'd be crazy not to get 11s :nice:

Skinnies...
Camcorder%20094.jpg

skinnies%20angle.jpg

I would go with the 17 X 9.5 because that will allow you to run wider tires if you want to, without being too much. You might be able to get away with 11 inch wide rims on the back, but not the front. If you get the 17 X 8 you might as well keep the stock rims... :nice:

Thanks to most of you for the opinions!
Everyone else seems to think 9's front & 10.5's rear.
That's great but...as I said in the title 17x8-17x9.5-17x11 are my ONLY choices.
I guess basically wanted to be sure that extra 1/2" would not be a problem.

Go with the 17x11's and i guarantee there won't be what if's. You'll love em :nice: If treadwear isn't a problem, get the 315/35/17 nitto drag radials and traction will be amazing. It is basically opinion, 17x11's WILL fit.

Andy

I ya want to see pics of my 17x10.5's, go to rankmyride.com and look up Stangman33