18x9 inch rims rubbing

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
So I just had my new wheels put on and if I turn into an upward angled driveway the front wheel will rub. I was just wondering if this was common or if there is some other issue going on.

Even with the stock wheels if I were to take one of those curved freeway on ramps real fast they would rub too. It seems like that was the case ever since I got my Tokico struts. They are the ones advertised for lowered Mustangs.

Would trying out some different struts fix the problem? Are the Bilsteins for the 03 Cobras still the hot ticket?

• Sponsors (?)

The strange thing is that it doesnt sound like its coming from the tires but kind of like the air dam underneath but I crawled under there and it looks fine. I think it has something to do with the struts since its only lowered 1.5 inches and they are the "lowered car" struts.

With the new wheels it turns fine without rubbing but when I go up a driveway while turning it makes a rubbing sound. It was aligned when the new wheels/tires were put on.

I still think it may be strut thing since it rubbed with the 17 in rims but it took more to make them rub. I wonder if getting struts made for my year will fix it since I think the lowered car Tokicos are fox body struts.

This strut theory just doesn't make sense to me. Have you looked under your car? The struts aren't in danger of rubbing on anything. I would definitely look at the front swaybar. Something's not right if the stock tires are rubbing. Heck, my 18x9s with 275s mounted on them don't rub even at full lock with the suspension compressed. Maybe your alignment got knocked off somehow.

Wheel spacers I guess

Um no. If he gets wheel spacers, it will still rub, just further in on the tire.

I have 18x9's and the sportlines, and had the same issue. I recently added polyurethane coil isolators and the fender gap increased....which got rid of the tire rub Only real way to elimiate this problem is to drive super slow over bumps/grades. I saw that you have the pro-kit, so there isnt much you can do except to take it easy. Increasing the fender gap will put you back into stock ride height

This strut theory just doesn't make sense to me. Have you looked under your car? The struts aren't in danger of rubbing on anything. I would definitely look at the front swaybar. Something's not right if the stock tires are rubbing. Heck, my 18x9s with 275s mounted on them don't rub even at full lock with the suspension compressed. Maybe your alignment got knocked off somehow.

I was thinking maybe they are compressing too easily or have gotten soft. They have been on for awhile and I'm not sure how long they should last. Plus if they are shorter than stock maybe that could make a difference.

I looked under there a little but will have to really crawl under there when I get a chance. It doesnt seems like it rubs too easily. I can take a level corner pretty fast and it will be fine but like I said when I go up a driveway on a turn is when it rubs.

How do you know the tires are rubbing? Maybe you're just scraping the front bumper or something on the driveway. That is certainly something I could see with a lowered car.

Shocks and struts are not springs. They exist to dampen the motion of the springs, not to support the weight of the vehicle.

It actually sounds like it would be the plastic air dam underneath but I'm not going fast at all and its not that steep. Even if I go pretty slow it does it and it never did it before. Ill have to have someone watch from outside and see if they can see whats going on.