1967 Mustang Rims

kbelusa

Apr 15, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Hello everyone.
I have a 1967 Mustang that I am trying to fit as wide a tire into as is possible. Can anyone tell me what is the largest tire is that I can install stock with the lip of the quarter panel "rolled"? How much back spacing?

If possible I would love to install a 10" rim, but I understand that the largest possible without cutting the wheels is an 8". Does anyone know what needs to be done to install this larger wheel? There is a 1-1.5" space between the inner wheel well (wheel well in trunk) to the frame rail and I was thinking of cutting this to fit the tire.

• Sponsors (?)

I am running a 17x9.5 with 6" backspace. If you have drum brakes in the rear then that is too much backspacing and it will rub a little on the inner wheel well on a turn if you have the car lowered like I do. But if you have disc brakes in the rear then it is perfect and you won't have to run spacers. You can put a 285/40/17 on a 9.5" rim.

I am running a 17x9.5 with 6" backspace. If you have drum brakes in the rear then that is too much backspacing and it will rub a little on the inner wheel well on a turn if you have the car lowered like I do. But if you have disc brakes in the rear then it is perfect and you won't have to run spacers. You can put a 285/40/17 on a 9.5" rim.

ditto.
285 width with a 9 - 9.5" width with the correct backspace is pretty much the max. without having rubbing issues.
keep the tire bead no closer than 1/2" away from its first inner contact (the leaf spring) and roll the fender lip on the outter side

OOOPPS I left a little out

Sorry, but I think I left out a little bit of information. Novice mistake.
The car has 1 piston Bear brakes in the rear mated to a TCP rear coil over. Not the new coil over, but the original coil over with the "cage” around the axel. Link below.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rearcoil.html

Is that 9-9.5" maximum tire size with the wheel well modified or with a stock wheel well?

Sorry, but I think I left out a little bit of information. Novice mistake.
The car has 1 piston Bear brakes in the rear mated to a TCP rear coil over. Not the new coil over, but the original coil over with the "cage” around the axel. Link below.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rearcoil.html

Is that 9-9.5" maximum tire size with the wheel well modified or with a stock wheel well?

Stock wheel well.