1968 "W" Code production numbers

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 68 W code mustang that i'm researching at the moment.

The W code engine was an option in 68 until the end of April when it was replaced with the 428. The W code was a hydraulic lifter 427 side oiler. I don't understand why people would think that no ford guy ticked the 427 side oiler box on his mustang purchase order.

I have a 999 report from Fo Mo Co confirming the VIN and engine code but i also have a Marti report that says it's not a W code so figure that out!

The W code VIN is stamped on the VIN tag and on the inner fender apron. My car was purchased from a wrecking yard outside Memphis 20 years ago and imported on the documented VIN.

It was restored and has been registered here since.

Whether it's real to others or not, it's real to me because i drive it!

I live in Australia so it's quite hard to do research from here. I'd be grateful if anyone could assist.

Cheers,

Adrian

The W code engine was an option in 68 until the end of April when it was replaced with the 428. The W code was a hydraulic lifter 427 side oiler. I don't understand why people would think that no ford guy ticked the 427 side oiler box on his mustang purchase order.

I have a 999 report from Fo Mo Co confirming the VIN and engine code but i also have a Marti report that says it's not a W code so figure that out!

The W code VIN is stamped on the VIN tag and on the inner fender apron. My car was purchased from a wrecking yard outside Memphis 20 years ago and imported on the documented VIN.

I live in Australia so it's quite hard to do research from here. I'd be grateful if anyone could assist.

Cheers,

Adrian

someone may have checked the box for the 427 but that does not mean that Ford made the car with a 427....in reality they didn't make any. there was an article in hemmings muscle machines a while back about an original owner 69 cougar eliminator that the guy ordered brand new and he checked the box for the Boss 429 engine but got the 428 SCJ motor instead because ford didn't make any Boss '9 cougars other than the 2 drag cars assembled at Kar Kraft and Dearborn Steel Tubing for "Fast Eddie" Schartman and "Dyno Don" Nicholson.

i would imagine your Marti report says the car came with the 428 CJ and not the 427 which is almost certainly without a doubt the engine that Ford would have substituted for the 427. to my knowledge the only Ford products in 68 to receive the W code 427 were cougar Xr7-G and GTE models......period, nothing else had the 427 in 68 and the cougar only got it for about half of the model year.

I'd trust the Marti report before the Ford 999 any day. 75% of the 999 reports I've ordered were incorrect in one way or another, although usually more minor then what size engine.

Cheers,

Adrian

bnickle is correct, Ford never made a W code Mustang. The 999 reports are junk. If you tell them that the engine vin in you 1967 says R code, it will come back as a 428, when in fact, there were no 67's produced for the market with a 428 in it other than a Shelby.

Trust your Marti report. He has all the records from Ford for 1967 and up.

to my knowledge the only Ford products in 68 to receive the W code 427 were cougar Xr7-G and GTE models......period, nothing else had the 427 in 68 and the cougar only got it for about half of the model year.

.... I had a '68 Ford Custom Station Wagon with a FE that was cross bolted, so it's a safe bet it had a 427.

someone may have checked the box for the 427 but that does not mean that Ford made the car with a 427....in reality they didn't make any. there was an article in hemmings muscle machines a while back about an original owner 69 cougar eliminator that the guy ordered brand new and he checked the box for the Boss 429 engine but got the 428 SCJ motor instead because ford didn't make any Boss '9 cougars other than the 2 drag cars assembled at Kar Kraft and Dearborn Steel Tubing for "Fast Eddie" Schartman and "Dyno Don" Nicholson.

i would imagine your Marti report says the car came with the 428 CJ and not the 427 which is almost certainly without a doubt the engine that Ford would have substituted for the 427. to my knowledge the only Ford products in 68 to receive the W code 427 were cougar Xr7-G and GTE models......period, nothing else had the 427 in 68 and the cougar only got it for about half of the model year.