1970 radiator mount style

I'm looking to correct a problem, visually, at least.

I want to install the correct (or at least correct-looking) radiator in my 1970 Mach I running a 351 Cleveland. My current (inherited) setup is a too-wide radiator, sitting on the front rails, and held at the top with a bracket. There is no shroud, and the flex-a-lite fan is way too far to be of use. The only real cooling is while I'm driving.

The problem, though, is that when I look around, NPD shows both saddle and flange styles available. I haven't seen other '70 351-C's for a reference. ('69 for that matter)

Which is correct?? :shrug: I seem to have a place to attach a flange-style radiator; there's a set of four holes on the sides of the radiator support.

• Sponsors (?)

I want to install the correct (or at least correct-looking) radiator in my 1970 Mach I running a 351 Cleveland.
There were two types, the 20" side-bolt mount, and 24" top/bottom saddle mount.

My current (inherited) setup is a too-wide radiator, sitting on the front rails, and held at the top with a bracket.
Sounds like the 24"

There is no shroud, and the flex-a-lite fan is way too far to be of use.
Many 70 had a 5-blade factory flex fan. I'm not a big "fan" of them, factory or otherwise. I favor a thermal clutch fan, more power, better cooling, better economy, what's not to like about that?

The only real cooling is while I'm driving.
The 24" always had a fan shroud. Bubba probably broke your years ago, or maybe he just didn't like plastic.

All of this stuff is available new. There is also a shroud for the 20".

Thanks

My current (inherited) setup is a too-wide radiator, sitting on the front rails, and held at the top with a bracket.
Sounds like the 24"

There is no shroud, and the flex-a-lite fan is way too far to be of use.
Many 70 had a 5-blade factory flex fan. I'm not a big "fan" of them, factory or otherwise. I favor a thermal clutch fan, more power, better cooling, better economy, what's not to like about that?

All of this stuff is available new. There is also a shroud for the 20".

Thanks for the info. The fan is too odd flashy (bright with adonized blue) to be factory, IMO. take a look at my pictures and you'll see what's there - yes, that's a peice of plastic shredded by the fan. Holding it in place is a fabricated sheetmetal bracket.

I cannot see a saddle of any sort, the radiator fins exceeed the opening width and is off-center. Last, I've never seen a side-mounted red cap or inlet at the top.

When the last owner bought the car, it had a Windsor engine. The correct engine was a Cleveland, so they found a donor and remedied that. In the process, it seems that mismatches were made.

I'm not looking to restore it, but get it to where it doesn't look like Bubba slapped something in. The overheating is just reinforcing my need for change.

Thanks

Scott

Thanks for the info. The fan is too odd flashy (bright with adonized blue) to be factory, IMO. take a look at my and you'll see what's there - yes, that's a peice of plastic shredded by the fan. Holding it in place is a fabricated sheetmetal bracket.
The fan is junk. The radiator looks like a 71, or maybe a Camaro part.

I cannot see a saddle of any sort, the radiator fins exceeed the opening width and is off-center. Last, I've never seen a side-mounted red cap or inlet at the top.
Not on a 64-70, they were all vertical flow with tank top & bottom.

When the last owner bought the car, it had a Windsor engine. The correct engine was a Cleveland, so they found a donor and remedied that. In the process, it seems that mismatches were made.
If the car is a 351 2V, the 1970 Mustang could have the 351W 2V or the 351C 2V. I have even seen a couple of 1970 351W 2V Shaker Ram Air cars. No way to tell by the VIN.

I'm not looking to restore it, but get it to where it doesn't look like Bubba slapped something in. The overheating is just reinforcing my need for change.

Get the 24" radiator, brackets, shroud, and thermal clutch fan. It'll cool like a bandit with that stuff, it's all available new.

Why not put an electric fan in there with a 3G alternator ? That should get rid of your over heating problem if you install the thermal sensor properly.

As far as I know, if your radiator is held down by a clamp up top, there should be some U-shaped brackets on the bottem to hold the radiator as well. Check NPD, I think they sell the brackets you need.

If you want to take it a step further, throw a 2 row aluminum radiator in there.

If the car is a 351 2V, the 1970 Mustang could have the 351W 2V or the 351C 2V. I have even seen a couple of 1970 351W 2V Shaker Ram Air cars. No way to tell by the VIN.

Get the 24" radiator, brackets, shroud, and thermal clutch fan. It'll cool like a bandit with that stuff, it's all available new.

M code. on the VIN = 351-4V - Cleveland.

Will likely assemble a package from NPD.

Thanks.