Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that did not go like I wanted it to...:nonono:

I was home by noon like I said. I called the tire shop to have my wheels dismounted because I intended to take them to the powder coaters. I was gonna have a coating similar to the color of rusty steel put on the wheels, so I needed the wheels ready to go. I get the car up in the air, get the tires off, and go out to #1's Jeep to start it so I can use it. I need the space to not only take those big ass mounted 315's and 245's,...I also needed enough room to be able to put the headliner stock material (60 x 48) inside.

The batteries dead. As in not even enough juice to light the dome light. So,..I get the jumper cables out and hook them to #2's 86 Mustang that is sitting right next to it.

That battery is dead also.

I jam all 4 tires in Mikes Mini. (Amazingly, they all fit in back) and off I go. I bribe the tire guy to move me to the head of the line. (He wanted to give me a 10 so I could go buy him two packs of Malboro Gold 100's) I told him to keep his money, and I paid for them instead. (First time I've ever bought cigarettes in my life.....I feel so,......addicted.)

I get the wheels dismounted, get my tires marked and stowed at the shop so I wont have to lug them back, and off I go to the powder coater.

It was about half way there that I started counting my intended purchases.

The powder coater agreed to coat the 4 wheels for 200.00 provided they were clean enough that they only needed a light blasting to properly etch the wheel. I told him that they were soda blasted, and had not seen one foot of road travel so I should be good.

The interior Dye was gonna cost 55.00 for a qt of that stuff, and I was expecting the rest of the material (headliner material, spray glue) would cost another 30-50 bucks. so,...all in, about 300.00 for the day.

But like I said,....I got to thinking.

I think to myself: If I paint these wheels instead of having them powder coated, I can get away with a qt of acrylic urethane product for probably about 50-60 bucks. I already have reducer and hardener left over from the car paint. Now that the wheels are dismounted, masking them will be easy peasy. So,....I'm thinking paint wins.

So,..I'm now on a bee line for the powder coater,...I make a U turn, and head back home...I've had #1s car on a charger for what will amount to an hour by this time, It should start. Then I can go downtown and get the headliner stuff, and now,.....the paint.

It's 3:45 by now. Those upholstery suppliers close at 4:30.

The Jeep still wont start.

I head downtown anyway. I've already discovered that the upholstery supplier doesn't have the board anyway. I throw my carpet in back, (for color match on the vinyl dye), grab the gas tank door and the Cyclone decal (The word "CYCLONE" is gold on the decal) and light the after burner on the Mini.

The first shop makes the vinyl dye, but doesn't have sht for headliner material. I cut a piece of the carpet so he has something to match off of, pay the 54.00 for the dye, and head off for shop #2. (It's now 4:14).

Shop #2 has tons of headliner material, but nothing comes close to matching the brown color of the carpet. (And now I'm having vinyl dye made that matches it.)

I refuse to accept a color that is "somewhat close".

"Do I have any other options here?" I ask the counter guy......"Probably about a billion when you consider all of the fabrics, leathers, and vinyls we have here as well." dude replies.

"Let me see some brown vinyls." I ask. " I have this assortment that is backed with a 1/4 piece of foam just like headline material,....I think that brown on top is gonna be real close". Dude offers back.

I set it on top of the carpet,....It's really close. "I'll take a yard and a half of this, and a can of 3M spray adhesive".

"No prob"......The guy sets off for the back of the building.

5 minutes later hes back,...says he's got my invoice inside.

$110.00:eek:

For a 60" square piece of brown vinyl, and a can of glue.

It's 5:30 by the time I get home. I got no paint to dye the interior pieces, I got no paint to paint the wheels, I got no headliner board to mount the vinyl to,...I got nothing to show for this day.

Not even one,:dammit: red rat bunion hole....

So then let's add this all up then. 54.00 for the vinyl dye,....110.00 for the headliner material, probably 60-70 for the qt of paint I'm gonna buy for the wheels,..20.00 for a piece of 1/8" "hardboard" from HD, and another 20 for that foil bubbly crap I can use as insulation. 260-270.00 for everything to finish up the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I was home by noon like I said. I called the tire shop to have my wheels dismounted because I intended to take them to the powder coaters. I was gonna have a coating similar to the color of rusty steel put on the wheels, so I needed the wheels ready to go. I get the car up in the air, get the tires off, and go out to #1's Jeep to start it so I can use it. I need the space to not only take those big ass mounted 315's and 245's,...I also needed enough room to be able to put the headliner stock material (60 x 48) inside.

The batteries dead. As in not even enough juice to light the dome light. So,..I get the jumper cables out and hook them to #2's 86 Mustang that is sitting right next to it.

I jam all 4 tires in Mikes Mini. (Amazingly, they all fit in back) and off I go. I bribe the tire guy to move me to the head of the line. (He wanted to give me a 10 so I could go buy him two packs of Malboro Gold 100's) I told him to keep his money, and I paid for them instead. (First time I've ever bought cigarettes in my life.....I feel so,......addicted.)

I get the wheels dismounted, get my tires marked and stowed at the shop so I wont have to lug them back, and off I go to the powder coater.

The powder coater agreed to coat the 4 wheels for 200.00 provided they were clean enough that they only needed a light blasting to properly etch the wheel. I told him that they were soda blasted, and had not seen one foot of road travel so I should be good.

The interior Dye was gonna cost 55.00 for a qt of that stuff, and I was expecting the rest of the material (headliner material, spray glue) would cost another 30-50 bucks. so,...all in, about 300.00 for the day.

I think to myself: If I paint these wheels instead of having them powder coated, I can get away with a qt of acrylic urethane product for probably about 50-60 bucks. I already have reducer and hardener left over from the car paint. Now that the wheels are dismounted, masking them will be easy peasy. So,....I'm thinking paint wins.

So,..I'm now on a bee line for the powder coater,...I make a U turn, and head back home...I've had #1s car on a charger for what will amount to an hour by this time, It should start. Then I can go downtown and get the headliner stuff, and now,.....the paint.

I head downtown anyway. I've already discovered that the upholstery supplier doesn't have the board anyway. I throw my carpet in back, (for color match on the vinyl dye), grab the gas tank door and the Cyclone decal (The word "CYCLONE" is gold on the decal) and light the after burner on the Mini.

The first shop makes the vinyl dye, but doesn't have sht for headliner material. I cut a piece of the carpet so he has something to match off of, pay the 54.00 for the dye, and head off for shop #2. (It's now 4:14).

Shop #2 has tons of headliner material, but nothing comes close to matching the brown color of the carpet. (And now I'm having vinyl dye made that matches it.)

"Do I have any other options here?" I ask the counter guy......"Probably about a billion when you consider all of the fabrics, leathers, and vinyls we have here as well." dude replies.

"Let me see some brown vinyls." I ask. " I have this assortment that is backed with a 1/4 piece of foam just like headline material,....I think that brown on top is gonna be real close". Dude offers back.

I set it on top of the carpet,....It's really close. "I'll take a yard and a half of this, and a can of 3M spray adhesive".

It's 5:30 by the time I get home. I got no paint to dye the interior pieces, I got no paint to paint the wheels, I got no headliner board to mount the vinyl to,...I got nothing to show for this day.

So then let's add this all up then. 54.00 for the vinyl dye,....110.00 for the headliner material, probably 60-70 for the qt of paint I'm gonna buy for the wheels,..20.00 for a piece of 1/8" "hardboard" from HD, and another 20 for that foil bubbly crap I can use as insulation. 260-270.00 for everything to finish up the car.
I'd powder coat the wheels Mike. I'm really betting (not a bottle of whiskey or anything) that you'll have wished you had.

I'd powder coat the wheels Mike. I'm really betting (not a bottle of whiskey or anything) that you'll have wished you had.
Naww,...I'm not thinking so.

Maybe if I was Luke Duke,..and had to run shine on the back roads of Hazard County, I might be concerned that all of the gravel I'd drive through would chip up the wheels..

But I an't Luke Duke.

And this car will never see a gravel road.

And the travel it sees will be marginal when comparing it to a normal daily driver.

So,.....Paint.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter what I say huh Dave? You're gonna like it regardless.

You're just a "likeable" kind of guy I guess.
That's just not the truth Mike, there has been one or two of yours that I haven't liked.

Besides, that like meant that I read your comment and understand your thinking and I don't have any reason to argue the point.

See, liking can mean so many things.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides we don't have a "dislike" button. :confused: That said I don't see a problem with painting. Powder coating could provide a more unique end product and would be more durable.

For the 12....

Is it still 12?....What do the polls say?....I feel like I'm losing my constituents.

Is you is,...or is you ain't my constituency?

tumblr_nxp18wr4Dw1urjr9do5_1280.jpg

Tomorrow I'll plod back into the detail work. I have a small thing I might have to do w/ an old customer, that will kill the morning but that shouldn't be more than a couple of hours.

After that I'm free.

So,...which path to walk?

PATH A: I can stay focused on the interior. Go downtown, and buy the generic stuff to make a new headliner. Cover it in black headliner material, insulate the underside of the roof and get it installed. Possibly get the heat exchanger ducting routed, and put the interior quarter panels in place so they can be repaired (one of them is cracked at the base), cleaned, primed, and painted in the saddle brown color similar to the dash leather.

I'll have to have some vinyl dye mixed up custom and spray it out of a gun......I want to try and get a close match to the dash color.

If there is any time left over,..I can rough in the A pillar trim,...and get it glassed so that it will sit on top of the dash pad like it belongs there.

** Question for @Davedacarpainter ...Those pieces of plastic,.....Do I have to use fiberglass mat and resin for that process,..or a "Kitty hair" product to make the base of the A pillar blend?

If,.......If I can do all of that,....I'll have the top of the car installed inside,....carpet and door panels will be after that....were talking,.....Little Japanese kid here....

OR,....

PATH B:

I stay outside and color sand and buff the exterior. Adjust the passenger door forward, or the drivers door rear ward.

Here's the deal with that....

Remember the gasket dillemma wher I have to slam the P iss outta the door to get it to close?

Well however/whatever the difference is between the two doors, the passenger door (where the gap in front is too big, and the gap at the rear is too close).......Shuts like a factory fresh door.

I'm thinking that the driver's side door is too far forward in actuality, and the "pinch" on the door gasket is acting like a wedge to not allow that door to shut as nice as the passenger door does.

It'll mean taking a chance that I'll phck up the paint. It'll mean that the hinge mounting surface that Dave painted will be screwed up to hell and back,....But maybe it'll mean that I can shut my door like a can on the passenger side........

CLICK.

Remember this guy?

MatkoskyMike2_zps660446b0.jpg

(Passenger side,.....about actual size)

The cyclone decals are too big to go in the space immediately behind the front wheel openings,...they'll overhang the front door gaps, and I do not want to cut the decal and have a gap in the middle. Obviously,..I have to come up with an alternate position for them. Only two possible locations:

1.At the front leading edge of the door.
2. Somewhere on the rear quarter similar to what Chrysler does with their junk.

These pieces are "icing" for me. I'm a theme guy, and this car is my take on a updated version of that namesake using the Fairmont as a template. That said,..the front name badge, the rear tail light piece AND these decals are all part of the theme.

They're goin on there as sure as I'm writing this. Where to put them is the solicitation for advice here,...NOT whether or not to put them on.......Nick. @95BlueStallion

In order to put them on however,..the mounting surface has to be buffed so,.hence the indecision.

If I can get the entire car to a point of "waxibility",....all that'll be left outside is to decide what to do about the wheels.

I said earlier that black was back,..and the polished lip was gonna be painted orange,.....but time has went by since I said that. Things change with me given enough time...
OR...
I could paint them black, and leave the lip polished. (But this time they'd be satin, instead of the gloss they once were)
OR....
I could paint the entire wheel gold. (the right color gold like I originally wanted to)

The reason for the waffling on the orange and black wheel thing, is that there is alot of orange and black on this car already. As much of a pain in the ass as it is to mask these wheels,...I just wanna be sure I'm doing it right this time..

So see,.....all kinds of instance for hand wringing on my part. And look,.......there is literally an entire page here of "options" for you to give your input on. Now... I know that some of you may be hesitant,..for fear of losing any part of your Maximus Glutimus should I take your opinion the wrong way....that ain't gonna happen here.

So........Rest easy.

rockw13.jpg

I hereby pledge to not bite gaping holes in any asses that happen to make a comment on any of the above solicited topics. Scouts honor.
It seems I'm always late to the decision making nowadays. Here is my input just in case you are still looking for opinions:
- PATH A
- Decal on rear quarter panel
- satin black wheel with polished lip

Being on vacation with a 2 (almost 3) year old and a newborn, I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as often as I usually do. I never know if I am one of the "12", but you haven't lost my interest. I just need more time in my life lol.

I hate when I have days like this where I feel like I'm running around all day and not accomplishing what I want to.

I also vote for powder coating, although I'm sure the wheels will come out fine either way with your skills and determination.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why did ya take the gas door with you? I'm guessing it involves the cyclone decal.?.

Have you ever tried using a deck of playing cards to mask off wheels? I've had good luck with it lol, they slide right in the little gap between the wheel hoop and center..

Wheel color contrast against the orange. I'm gonna try that again tomorrow morning. (I'm gonna pull a Dave, and get up and out early enough so as to be able to get the wheel paint, and the interior dye (two separate places) and be at work by 9AM.)

Reactions: 3 users
Notice how I liked Todd's post there Mike.

What do you suppose I meant by that?
See,...you didn't reply to me directly, or mention me so I missed the smart assed quip.

Let me see,......:chin

You are "liking" his reply because you are agreeing with Todd where he said that I could go either way???:shrug::shrug::shrug:

See,...you didn't reply to me directly, or mention me so I missed the smart assed quip.

Let me see,......:chin

You are "liking" his reply because you are agreeing with Todd where he said that I could go either way???:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Nope, wrong answer.

I agree with him that the powder coating is more durable. But I have already agreed with you that you're not going all "Dukes of Hazard", so nbd you're way either.

I just hate painting wheels myself.

The wheels are dismounted. Painting them will be much easier. I didn't hate painting them,....MOF they turned out beautifully. They were the wrong freakin color, but they were beautiful nonetheless.

47C4A4A2-B28F-4AE4-9C8E-CC14BD40C835_zpssfadhuis.jpg

D8FB0540-F15E-4636-94ED-4240BBFB1085_zpsayknvtzx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.