Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,....Now that my thread is purged of any evil apparitions,....I guess I'll tell you what's been happening these last several days.

I've started looking into some form of "Blog". Obviously my participation here is all over the place, and alot of times what I have to say doesn't fit very well into the confines of a car guy forum for fox body cars. Not that I don't think that I have a place here,..I don't want to lose the "build thread" aspect for the car. I'm just looking for a more general forum that would be of interest when I've got non- car related, or non-fox related junk to say. (Like the rest of this update)

So,..there's that.

Last weekend we bought a new house. As in,..there's flat ground there presently. The current house has outlived it's appeal. We moved here for the school system,..(which we are exactly 1-3 miles away from the elementary, middle, freshman center and high schools.) Now the same reason to move here has become a giant pain in my ass. Every morning, if you aren't gone by 6:58,...You are trapped behind a mile of traffic trying to get out of this neighborhood,..with everybody else trying to get to school or work. This house was built in 1984,..and has a buttload of trees, a big giant sloping lot,...and I'm tired.

Of fighting that traffic,..of mowing, of freakin raking leaves of having to choose which "chain restaurant I want to eat in with the rest of all of the screaming ass kids

So we're sellin this btch. Given we live in the shadow of one of the best school systems in the entire SE US...(The same HS that MTV brought you " Two-a-Days") is the main appeal. The last couple of weeks, I've been picking a project that I've been ignoring for years and finishing it. Last weekend the upstairs bathroom. Next weekend,...Pfft?

On Sunday,..I sat for 3 hours on a runway. BMW sends me to the new unveiling of the new 5 series, taking place in Austin TX.. Very big affair. I was one of the first "waves" of about 125 selected people that they'll bring in for this event. They rented the COTA in Austin (Circuit of the Americas) a Formula 1 spec track, manned it w/ BWM corporate trainers, hired 4 pro drivers (all retired) i.e.... Roberto Guerrero, Michael Andretti,...the others I can't remember,...trailered in 65 brand new 65,000 cars (read,...less than 15 mi. each)............and we just beat the living sht outta them. With no special tires, no "track tune", not even as much as a drop in air pressure,..these poor cars were hot lapped as hard as they could be driven by the pro's, and then by each of us for the entire day. The pro's were merciless,...the rest of us,...not so much. Each one of us got a "ride w/ the pro" at full blast. Not one failure.
The fail was at the hands of United Airlines out of Houston. A "computer glitch" grounded the entire domestic fleet,..for three hours. What was supposed to be a tiny little 35 minute flight, turned into a 4 hour nightmare. That, in turn puts me in a town reputed for having a great music sector, and great food, at 10:30 PM....When it was supposed to be 6:30. Was I pssed?

The fun doesn't stop there. My return flight was scheduled at the end of the day. Flying back on Delta this time on a two leg flight that flies to Atlanta, with a connection that takes me back to Birmingham. Only problem is I have to sit and wait for that connection. How longs is the wait do ya spose?......3 hours.

I get to the Austin airport at 3:50, there is a flight that was supposed to leave at 4:55, but because of high winds in Atl., it has been pushed back to 6:15. I ask the ticket lady if there is a connection out of Atlanta earlier than the 11:58PM flight I was currently marooned on,..and she confirmed that there was. Departs at 9:40 PM. "If this flight doesn't get pushed back any further, and if every body gets on the plane so we can push off at our scheduled departure, the plane should pull up to the gate at 9:30"
"Will they hold that plane, if I have to run through the concourse?" I ask. She says that because of all of the re-scheduling,..they may do that... They may.

I risk it. I take the even earlier flight.

And then the Tijuana taxi loads it's passengers.

The average plane loading experience has "eroded" to just north of a Mumbai bus ride. All these people dressed in something less formal than their pajama's, all trying to jam their god damned carry-on into a space that it won't fit,..Each taking a stupid amount of time to just get on the damn plane and sit the fck down.
Carry on bags should be restricted to what "fits by your feet" and the overhead compartments should be sealed. For the sake of individual convenience, the entire system is corrupted. Check your damn bags.

By the time the plane was loaded it was already 6:30 and after sitting in a long ass line on the tarmac, by the time it was wheels up, it was 7:00.

And we had a 1 hour and 36 minute flight to Atlanta.

Ain't no way I was gonna make it.

When we land, and are taxiing to the gate the attendant gets on the PA and tells the rest of the TJ taxi riders that there were several passengers on board w/ less that 15 minutes to make a connection, and to please allow those few to move up the aisle first when the plane de-boards.

Did that happen?

Nope,...not at first. Not until this determined, small stature female oompah-loompah decided that she was going to make her damn connection, and no rude assed, inconsiderate, pajama wearin' Atlanta residents were gonna get in her way. So,...considering that she was creating one hell of a wake,..I just slipped in behind her and let her plow that path clear right through the middle of the PJ mob.

I'm off the plane in minutes,..I check the monitor,..the 9:40 flight is 18 gates away. It's 9:35.

I'm ruunnin'

I make it just as they are closing the jetway door. They open it and let me pass. I'm gonna be home in 35 minutes.

So,..That brings you up to even. The Monster is in the same dash-less state he was last time,..I haven't done anything more than say hello to him. I need to drive him in the dark...and see if I can get the switch short to re-occur. If it does, I'm ditching the switch in favor of a couples of rockers. After that,..it's just the details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the new house !

Me and the wife have been searching for over a year. All I care about is a nice garage...she can't live without walk in closets, big bathtub's, a florida room, basement, at least 4 bedrooms, two full baths, open concept, nice deck, central heat and air, no HOA, big kitchen, and lots of storage. On our budget that doesn't seem to exist.

I used to rehab houses so I can remodel a home....but she wants something " move in ready ". SMH

Heck Mike, i'm glad to hear from you. I got a clue about that whole airline bullsht.

You're my friend, don't stray too far from here. I missed your periodic snyping at me.:D

I actually liked your old house, but i understand the pita side of it too. A new house though?! Mister Fancypants! I just miss the tap water that tastes like bottled water instead of chemically treated lake water like here.:nonono:

Anywho, tell Kate, "Dave says howdy" (yes, we use that word here).

OMG, I want to hear more about COTA! And who did you ride along with? Did you get to drive a PRO around? Did you make one of the PRO's say WTF?

I refuse to fly AA any longer. 2 times in last 20 years with total of 10 hrs spent sitting on ground in plane. In July we back up, stopped, and pulled back to gate. Pilot said when he set the brakes to allow them to unhook tow bar, something in one of the pedals BROKE!

Can't wait to see the light switch saga get resolved!!!

I actually liked your old house, but i understand the pita side of it too. A new house though?! Mister Fancypants! I just miss the tap water that tastes like bottled water instead of chemically treated lake water like here.:nonono:

Other things may suck about Memphis, but you'll never have better water in your life. About 50 trillion trillion or some ridiculous number of gallons in under ground aquifers. It tastes better than a lot of bottle water I have had. For about 20 years a lot of Coors and Coors Lite weren't made with Rocky Mountain water...they were made with Memphis tap water!!!

Heck Mike, i'm glad to hear from you. I got a clue about that whole airline bullsht.

You're my friend, don't stray too far from here. I missed your periodic snyping at me.:D

Anywho, tell Kate, "Dave says howdy" (yes, we use that word here).

Kate says "Hello Dave" back. Funny you should mention that,..I've always maintained that we have good water. It's kate's mom that think's we're the ones that have funny tasting water, and always buys a case of bottled water when she stays here.
(Personally,..I think it's because she's too lazy to reach into the cabinets for a glass).
You won't have to wait too long,....I'm sure that I'll have a whole bunch of sht to snipe about at you. :rolleyes:

OMG, I want to hear more about COTA! And who did you ride along with? Did you get to drive a PRO around? Did you make one of the PRO's say WTF?

I refuse to fly AA any longer. 2 times in last 20 years with total of 10 hrs spent sitting on ground in plane. In July we back up, stopped, and pulled back to gate. Pilot said when he set the brakes to allow them to unhook tow bar, something in one of the pedals BROKE!

Can't wait to see the light switch saga get resolved!!!
I rode w/ Roberto Guerrero. He took me out and slowly drove around the track during the first lap describing how you brake and negotiate the turns,...then after asking me "If i was ready for some fun", tore the track up. To me it seemed very brutal. The car is a factory fresh 540,..which comes w/ run-flat tires, only makes 335 HP, and 332 Ft/Lbs torque. Very far from "race prepped".
The only "track capable" feature they actually come with is all wheel drive. Despite that, he was able to drive that lap so fast, I can't believe that the car didn't come around. It was a true testament to his driving ability, and to how amazing these cars are when asked to perform. I told Roberto that I could only imagine how beat up he must've gotten in a race prepped car after an entire race. It was all I could do to fight back a little motion sickness.

Immediately afterwards they broke us up into four large groups of 30, paired us up in 5 cars per group, and each pro driver led one of those groups in his own car. We all followed like little ducks.
First lap easy,..next lap as fast as the group would follow staggering each group by 10 seconds. I drove the very first lap, and was immediately behind the pro. (Unfortunately, I do not remember his name, but I'll find that out later and edit that back in later today) All I'll say is that I was right on that Pro driver's ass. I know it was a way slower version than the actual ride along, but to me,..it was fast.
At the end of my lap, they switched us and the passenger became the driver, and the driver rode shotgun.

And they did that over and over until all 120 of us had been through the circuit.

At the end of the hot laps,..one pro driver "debriefed" the entire group. (The guy that I followed) It was basically a review of how well the car performs so that we could gain a better respect for the driver safety features that were built into these cars (Like traction control, stability control, ABS brakes, and all wheel drive) so that we could take it back and talk about it to the customer.

But he did ask one thing.........

"Who was the one that followed me during the very first lap?"

Uhhhhh ........"Me?".......... I raised my hand.

"This wasn't new to you, you've been on a track before,...What's your experience?" He asked.

"I've never raced before,...this is the first time." I answer back.
"Aww,...C'mon",...he pokes,... "You've done this stuff before." He insisted.

"I've never been in a race per se',.....I've only been to the BMW performance driving center and driven the 5 M cars that they let us take around the short track in Genius Training" I tell him.

He finishes with " Well,.....You should get involved w/ a club and get into tracking a car,......You'd be good at it."

And he left it at that....

So,...out of 120 guys,....I get a shout out....

Me,...all crotchedy and sht,.....get's an atta boy from a pro driver because I was able to follow him closer than anybody else that followed....:banana:

Reactions: 7 users
Mike, I am so jealous in that you got to go out and beat the HE** out of a brand new 5 Series. The best part is that it was FREE....... They fly you out...beat the crap out of the car... fly back

I want a turn...I want a turn...

Not all of us GA guys are terrible, but I totally understand the ATL airport sucks. I have to fly out of that airport a few times a year for work, and its never fun that for sure.

Now with the house adventure...when are you going to have the time to work on MONSTER? We liked the almost daily updates.

So...when are you building a BMW, Aussie powered, AWD track car ?
This would be one case where I'll "buy instead of build". There is just too much going on when you're driving a car this fast. I'm fully aware that it was the car, not me that helped me keep up w/ that pro. The DSC light was flashing like mad everytime I pushed it through a corner...For all of the would be track "heroes," all of those driver safety features I mentioned earlier are the reason these cars stayed on the track, and a pre-req to being able to have fun while doing this sht.
Without several hours of actual on-track experience, a car like the Monster w/o the benefit of any of that would just end up being a blown up,wadded up ball of tin immediately after turn one..

Reactions: 2 users
That sounds like a pretty fun trip aside from the flying hassles. Is it Lamborghini that has the technology that straightens you out from a major sideways slide? Cant remember for sure, but I know it makes the average snob feel like a track hero.

Congrats on the house decision. Funny, my wife and I bought our house based on the school system, too. However, after having three big trees in the yard of my 1st house, I have no plans on planting any more than the one we currently have in the back yard. My hope is to build a stand alone garage in the side yard, and that will cut my mowing down considerably. I have two exits from my neighborhood, so I can avoid the school traffic and hopefully never have to move if I am lucky. The house has all the space we could ever need, just some remodeling needed to very our "dream home."

Dirt.

All I can see is maybe there is dirt that may be fouling the connection from the socket to the head light switch. I pried the socket off the switch, and there was dust from all of the body work under there. I cleaned the dust off using electrical contact cleaner, and put the socket back on the switch. Then I reinstalled the switch.

All I'm waiting for is twilight.

The dash top is still off, as are the gauges.If after this test drive the light problem persists, I don't wanna have to tear all that junk back apart again.

I'm hoping that not having the gauges hooked up won't somehow fck up the wideband controller.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. Time for a swag.

You know what a swag is right?

Stupid
Wild
Assed
Guess.

The lights started flickering w/i a minute of driving. I wiggled every stinking wire on that switch, and could not locate a short.

I decided to check the fuse box.

( Huh,...imagine that.....checkinv a fuse box for a potential bad connection.)

20170127_201038.jpg

Count up from the two yellow connectors at the bottom....3,4,5.....5's loose.

I check the diagram to see what circuit is tied back to 5.......whatdya spose?

Head lights.

DUURRRR!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Ok. Time for a swag.

Stupid
Wild
Assed
Guess.

The lights started flickering w/i a minute of driving. I wiggled every stinking wire on that switch, and could not locate a short.

20170127_201038.jpg

Head lights.

DUURRRR!!!!

Sweet, glad ya found it,
Now it's time to strap on the camera and make an at night video update :)

Ok. Time for a swag.

Stupid
Wild
Assed
Guess.

20170127_201038.jpg

Head lights.

DUURRRR!!!!

Back about a page ago I said...
That sounds like a loose connection in the power feed side of the circuit. The push on tab connectors are prone to that sort of thing.

The idea I was trying to convey is when troubleshooting electrical power problems, always start at the power source. Then work your way towards the first component in the circuit after the power source.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.