Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just gonna warn you in advance,......I feel particularly "wordy" today.

That said,......Here goes.

I've said it before. I'm critical of other people's stuff because I'm critical of what I do myself. I guess you'd say I'm the type of leader that wont send a guy into the swamp unless I'm walking in first.
Before anybody gets to thinking I'm some nit picky perfectionist, I'm here to tell you I'm not. I judge myself to what I consider an 80% standard ofperfect. I'll stop finessing a thing if I think it's at, or I can get it to 80% of what ever "perfect" supposedly is.

It's no secret that I've been working on those stupid hoods for weeks now. The actual "calendar" time frame is closer to a couple of months, but since I can only work on junk on my days off,......that becomes weeks. Nonetheless,......I'm at the point where I think I can get it to 80% after some blocking and maybe additional priming.

I'm down to what is in effect literally a whole bunch of long nights, and a day and a half before my painter arrives in Bham. Since I'm writing this, I'm confident that I'll be able to hit my deadline, even if it's by the skin of my teeth.

** We pause now for a brief pictoral interlude,..after which the commentary will resume:

20160713_163452_zpsvvhem72h.jpg

The hood from hell.

20160713_163427_zpssochf4ma.jpg

Fenders waiting on time to dry.

20160713_155902_RichtoneHDR_zpssszcnhoj.jpg

Passenger side door. Already blocked,....done.

20160713_155850_RichtoneHDR_zpsmsja0muo.jpg

Driver's door. Waiting to dry and blocking.

20160713_155758_zpsus8ccywq.jpg

And the trunk w/ it's Gila fin.

The pics typically help me to see what I can't when I stand there looking at it but they don't lie. The center rib has lost it's definition between the scoops, and the left scoop needs blocking more to level out the bulge at the rear-most part of the thing. These pics are after three coats of fresh primer, so at this time it's still too fresh to hit with a sanding block and some #320 paper. What I'm hoping for here is that the blocking regimen will add back some of the lost detail that happened as a result of having to fill the damn hood to get rid of the wavies. I said it last time,...the irony of the whole damn thing is that this hood looks like the original that was at this stage two months ago.

Is it 80%? Hardly. Can I get it there? More than likely......(maybe a 60%) . I'm just done. As in,.......wiped. It seems everything I do to try and make it better adds tons more work, as I make a bigger mess everytime I touch the damn thing.

Save for the blocking and priming,.....that's all I'm gonna do to this bastard.

Hoods are the lesser evil. We'll paint this pig, and it'll be ok for now. Then I'll start to dislike it,....Then I'll just hate it. Then I'll start all over again. Only I've finally learned my lesson.

* What Mike learned this year:

I'm no bodyman. I just got lucky with the rest of the things I've done to the car. When a real test comes along, (as in,...these last three hoods) my lack of skill shines like an idiot beacon. If there is a G hood v4.0, there'll be some sort of fiberglass hood scoop BOLTED on,....and that will be that.

Schools out.

But enough p issing and moaning.... Lets talk about what good I was able to do.

The doors fenders, and trunk are pretty damn good. All that remain with them is a couple of hours spent in Karate kid mode "Sand-a-da- floor" and them bi tches are done. I laid some liberal dosage of 2k around the G fin on the trunk deck so I can get a sharp line at the fin break, but that's it. I'm officially out of my second gallon of 2k primer.

So,....what's left then before D day then?

I'm glad you asked.

We're painting the car right where it sits. Part of what I gotta do to facilitate that is mega clean the garage. I intend to make the garage "itself" the paint booth. Air is gonna be forced in through three furnace filters right here,.....

20160713_160142_zps97yjxd63.jpg

When we paint, I'm gonna have a "door" with two box fans that'll blow in. I'll just open the door you see, and close my fan/filter door from inside the garage. Conditioned air from the house will be the source for Mike's paint booth.

At the back of the garage will be a wall covered in clear plastic that spans the entire two car garage door. When paint time comes, the O/H garage door comes up, and exposes that wall. At the bottom of that wall will be three additional fans pulling air through three filters.

20160713_160147_zpslwrdhtc7.jpg

It'll be "back there".

I'll make a "Man door" so we can get outside into the fresh air through that partition. It's really about 10 studs, cut and screwed together, then screwed into the frame that surrounds the garage door from the outside. Should be easy-peasy. It'll be this Sundays' work goal.

So then,.....those few that have paid attention should be thinking,......"I thought he was painting it in a real booth". And you'd be right to think that.

But the truth of the matter is the guy that was gonna let us use it got a little........surly.

He didn't like the fact that we were spraying SS acrylic urethane. ( Said it was gonna clog his filters).
Said that he was gonna correct my painter if he thought he was doing something the wrong way, and that until he saw the proof that he was capable and knew what he was doing,.... He was "not too impressed"

Ummmm........No said the finger,:nono:.....he ain't gonna do none of that.
Said that we were not gonna be able to get in till after 4:30 on Friday,...all depending on customer cars,......all while the monster sits on an open trailer maybe in the sun,.....maybe in the rain.
That left a bad taste in my mouth. Too many "ifs" all while having a car on a trailer sitting in the lot waiting one the "go" from ol crotchedy.

So I chose to go with what I know. And that leaves the monster snugly sleeping in his garage,....waiting on the "day".

And that wraps up today's progress save for two things....

#1. I've neglected to post pics of the newest member of my family,......the little guy just followed me home last week.......I didn't have the heart to send him back.

20160713_155811_zps0psk267p.jpg

Mike's Mini. A John Cooper Works edition. 218HP, 228 TQ. ( Has a little blue-tooth push button that opens up the second exhaust pipe and makes it a straight farty-pipe)

And,......lest I forget.

#2.This evening's beverage.

20160713_164947_zpscg2pczgn.jpg

Tastes like Heineken. Only from China.

It's a Chinee Heiny.

Even the beer I drink is Chinese,....I drive a German car, built in England, Have a project car with junk from all over the world on it,......Uhh.........:flag:

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I've said it before. I'm critical of other people's stuff because I'm critical of what I do myself. I guess you'd say I'm the type of leader that wont send a guy into the swamp unless I'm walking in first.
Before anybody gets to thinking I'm some nit picky perfectionist, I'm here to tell you I'm not. I judge myself to what I consider an 80% standard ofperfect. I'll stop finessing a thing if I think it's at, or I can get it to 80% of what ever "perfect" supposedly is.

It's no secret that I've been working on those stupid hoods for weeks now. The actual "calendar" time frame is closer to a couple of months, but since I can only work on junk on my days off,......that becomes weeks. Nonetheless,......I'm at the point where I think I can get it to 80% after some blocking and maybe additional priming.

I'm down to what is in effect literally a whole bunch of long nights, and a day and a half before my painter arrives in Bham. Since I'm writing this, I'm confident that I'll be able to hit my deadline, even if it's by the skin of my teeth.

** We pause now for a brief pictoral interlude,..after which the commentary will resume:

The hood from hell.

The pics typically help me to see what I can't when I stand there looking at it but they don't lie. The center rib has lost it's definition between the scoops, and the left scoop needs blocking more to level out the bulge at the rear-most part of the thing. These pics are after three coats of fresh primer, so at this time it's still too fresh to hit with a sanding block and some #320 paper. What I'm hoping for here is that the blocking regimen will add back some of the lost detail that happened as a result of having to fill the damn hood to get rid of the wavies. I said it last time,...the irony of the whole damn thing is that this hood looks like the original that was at this stage two months ago.

Is it 80%? Hardly. Can I get it there? More than likely......(maybe a 60%) . I'm just done. As in,.......wiped. It seems everything I do to try and make it better adds tons more work, as I make a bigger mess everytime I touch the damn thing.

Hoods are the lesser evil. We'll paint this pig, and it'll be ok for now. Then I'll start to dislike it,....Then I'll just hate it. Then I'll start all over again. Only I've finally learned my lesson.

I'm no bodyman. I just got lucky with the rest of the things I've done to the car. When a real test comes along, (as in,...these last three hoods) my lack of skill shines like an idiot beacon. If there is a G hood v4.0, there'll be some sort of fiberglass hood scoop BOLTED on,....and that will be that.

Schools out.

The doors fenders, and trunk are pretty damn good. All that remain with them is a couple of hours spent in Karate kid mode "Sand-a-da- floor" and them bi tches are done. I laid some liberal dosage of 2k around the G fin on the trunk deck so I can get a sharp line at the fin break, but that's it. I'm officially out of my second gallon of 2k primer.

I'm glad you asked.

We're painting the car right where it sits. Part of what I gotta do to facilitate that is mega clean the garage. I intend to make the garage "itself" the paint booth. Air is gonna be forced in through three furnace filters right here,.....

When we paint, I'm gonna have a "door" with two box fans that'll blow in. I'll just open the door you see, and close my fan/filter door from inside the garage. Conditioned air from the house will be the source for Mike's paint booth.

At the back of the garage will be a wall covered in clear plastic that spans the entire two car garage door. When paint time comes, the O/H garage door comes up, and exposes that wall. At the bottom of that wall will be three additional fans pulling air through three filters.

It'll be "back there".

I'll make a "Man door" so we can get outside into the fresh air through that partition. It's really about 10 studs, cut and screwed together, then screwed into the frame that surrounds the garage door from the outside. Should be easy-peasy. It'll be this Sundays' work goal.

So then,.....those few that have paid attention should be thinking,......"I thought he was painting it in a real booth". And you'd be right to think that.

But the truth of the matter is the guy that was gonna let us use it got a little........surly.

He didn't like the fact that we were spraying SS acrylic urethane. ( Said it was gonna clog his filters).
Said that he was gonna correct my painter if he thought he was doing something the wrong way, and that until he saw the proof that he was capable and knew what he was doing,.... He was "not too impressed"

Said that we were not gonna be able to get in till after 4:30 on Friday,...all depending on customer cars,......all while the monster sits on an open trailer maybe in the sun,.....maybe in the rain.
That left a bad taste in my mouth. Too many "ifs" all while having a car on a trailer sitting in the lot waiting one the "go" from ol crotchedy.

So I chose to go with what I know. And that leaves the monster snugly sleeping in his garage,....waiting on the "day".

#1. I've neglected to post pics of the newest member of my family,......the little guy just followed me home last week.......I didn't have the heart to send him back.

Mike's Mini. A John Cooper Works edition. 218HP, 228 TQ. ( Has a little blue-tooth push button that opens up the second exhaust pipe and makes it a straight farty-pipe)

And,......lest I forget.

It's a Chinee Heiny.

Even the beer I drink is Chinese,....I drive a German car, built in England, Have a project car with junk from all over the world on it,......Uhh.........:flag:

I like Tsing Tao. My dad is married to a Vietnamese lady, I get all kinds of cool Asian stuff to try out that I'd guess a lot of white guys never see. There used to be a really nice chinee restaurant in the next town over we'd dine at, and one of those beers was always on the ticket.

Oh
I like Tsing Tao. My dad is married to a Vietnamese lady, I get all kinds of cool Asian stuff to try out that I'd guess a lot of white guys never see. There used to be a really nice chinee restaurant in the next town over we'd dine at, and one of those beers was always on the ticket.
Ohh,...so you drinkee chinee Heiny too huh?

It #1 good stuff.

I like ordering the beer at a restaurant. I say it loud, with "inflection" SINGTAO!

Like a character from a Chuck Norris movie.

Reactions: 1 user
You're an honorary Asian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Have u tried the Vietnamese steamed buns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hood from hell.

Schools out.

I'm glad you asked.

It'll be "back there".

And,......lest I forget.

It's a Chinee Heiny.

Sooo, I'm now to be known as "your painter", huh? As long as I have "your" beer, Chinee or not, you can call me whatever!:nice::cheers:

Your idea will work for the garage, I think. It will be a good idea to have more inflow of air than exhaust. Just by a little bit though.

9 days Mikey, this should be fun.

The hood looks much better this time, good job.

Sooo, I'm now to be known as "your painter", huh? As long as I have "your" beer, Chinee or not, you can call me whatever!:nice::cheers:

Your idea will work for the garage, I think. It will be a good idea to have more inflow of air than exhaust. Just by a little bit though.

9 days Mikey, this should be fun.

The hood looks much better this time, good job.

Hey,...I was talking about you with regard to the conversation w/ the other guy. He certainly didn't know your name, so I was just keepin' it real.

We will not be drinking Chinee beer when you're here. As I'm sure it is elsewhere, Birmingham has 4 local breweries making really good stuff.

I'll use the Chinee swill for everyday, we'll drink the better stuff when you're here.

:flag:

Hood looks great Mike, the garage set up sounds promising, hopefully that jerk @Davedacarpainter remembers to set up the live stream come D-day :)

Bluetooth Farty pipe sounds like a fun idea-how bout a short video of mad Mike and his mini racing down the neighborhood? lol

Hood looks great Mike, the garage set up sounds promising, hopefully that jerk @Davedacarpainter remembers to set up the live stream come D-day :)

Bluetooth Farty pipe sounds like a fun idea-how bout a short video of mad Mike and his mini racing down the neighborhood? lol
Maybe I could convince Mike to do a smoky burnout with his mini that I could post.

Paint his wheels? We haven't talked about wheels.
And we won't be talking about them either. (Aside from casual conversation). I'll paint my own wheels as part of the finish work on the car itself.
The paint job is the flood gate. Once the flood gate opens, all of the staged work falls into place (I've said that before a dozen times too) So for me, the proverbial "Christmas morning" will last the rest of the summer as I put the thing back together.

Granted, the paint job itself will be the biggest gift I'll open, but stuff like the full interior, the full front and rear fascias that have only been mocked up, are all equally big boxes under "Mike's Christmas in July" Christmas tree. Add in all of the "stocking stuffer" details like black trim, full working electrical systems, setting the little Japanese kid in the back seat for good, and the audio system that comes from that,....and of course the wheels........the satin black w/ orange lip wheels....Ho!-Ho!-Ho!.

Reactions: 8 users

I don't do videos Chris. How many times must I remind you?

I'll bet your parents smacked the hell outta you for asking "Are we there yet?" didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.