1981 Fox Project

Ross302

Jun 25, 2009
Lunenburg MA
I recently acquired a 1981 Coupe. My cousin bought it with plans to restore. It was originally a 4.2 2 barrel. Not sure if it was an automatic or manual.
The guy who owned it before put in a 302, a clutch with a T5 and a 8.8 rear-end. It was not driving when he got it, the drive train was basically laying in place.

I am going to start a tread so I can post updates as to where I stand in getting this Fox back on the road...and so people will know what i am working with when I ask for advice, since this will be my first build I will need all the help I can get

My Back ground:
Army Vet - 1/5 INF Fort Lewis WA 99-03 :flag:
State College MA 03-07
Business Banking TD Banknorth 07- current
As you can see I have no real automotive experience, but have done some back yard mechanics. Friends and family (cousins) have owned Mustangs and have always wanted one of my own...

Starting%20Point

Attachments

• IMG_0226j.jpg
    IMG_0226j.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Sponsors (?)

motor is in. :nice:
I had to chase down all kinds of bolts, as 80% of the hardware was missing. but its in.
put in clutch kit and connected the clucth cable.
I am missing the bolts to connect the drive shaft to the rear-end. But a friend is getting those for me.

I need to figure out how to connect the throttle cable to the carb:shrug:

Attachments

• img096.jpg
    img096.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 130
  • img093.jpg
    img093.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 136
sweet bronco too!

i post more pictures by having them hosted by another site. I use photobucket.com.
Once the other site is hosting them take the direct link to the photo. The direct link will be listed.
Then when you post surround the direct link with this text:
where x is the direct link.
That might be a little confusing, but PM me if you want more in depth instructions.

These are pics of the car before any work was started. The car had a crappy flat black rattle can paint job. The interior was also given the no prep, and spray treatment. The car was originally a light gray/pewter color, with a red interior. We have a clean Carfax report that shows this car was last on the road in '06, and has 66k original miles.
IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

We removed the front clip and the doors, as well as the interior, to give the body a good once over. The engine compartment was thoroughly wire wheeled, and all cleaned. One of the previous owners just sprayed the car with rattle cans. They must not have even prepped the surface, because the paint came off easily with a D.A, and hand sanding. The body is very solid , but the toe boards need a little work. The bottoms of the doors were bad, however we scored a super clean set of 1990 doors with zero rust. Just need to splice the wiring harness for the power windows, locks.

The car will be going back to 79-86 quarter windows and trim, so the door the doors have already been addressed to accept the older moldings and trim. The car has some self etch sprayed, and is ready for high build primer, and blocking. The redish color on the trunk and rear quarter areas is some sort of factory oxide primer. Surprisingly there is no rust or rot on the rocker panels at all.

rossy.jpg

rossy2.jpg

rossy3.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

The car is being built on a budget, so no high dollar parts, or show car touches here. The project came with a rebuilt 302, so we cleaned it up painted the engine with Rustoleum BBQ paint, and some Hammerite, and painted the cleaned up engine bay with Rustoleum semi gloss black. As of now, the drivetrain is installed, and Ross302 is starting to connect all the fuel components, ignition, etc. More pics and updates to come.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Thanks for posting all the pics and updates, as I am not much of a writer.
I am off the the bone yard today to see what I can find...

Need the drive shaft bolts and random alternator bolts.
Hopefully I can get some more done to the car today.

Ross302, I have another pace car/GT air dam, fender extension, and headlight panel, etc., that I will donate to the project if you want to go 4 eye. You will need the upper cover and hood though. Tossies Mustang farm in Wrentham has a bunch of 79-82 cars.

Otherwise if that's not in the budget, an LX cover will do just fine, and you already have a hood for that.