1983 4 speed tranny

topless5.0

Sep 5, 2001
I've got a 1983 Mustang GT that has the factory four speed tranny in it. In 1983 they offered both the 4 speed and the 5 speed for some stupid reason and this GT has the 4 speed. Anyway, the tranny was rebuilt not to long ago by a reputible shop near my home town. The rebuild seems solid, but the shifter is junk.

Does anyone know where i could find out exactly which transmission this is or if there is a shifter available for it???

thanks

-luke

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 83 Vert with the 4speed. The 4 speed was the "SROD" transmission, had a real low first but the upper gears were not the best ratios, and they aren't the most durable trannies in the world.

Bout halfway through the year they switched to the T5. I have a book at home with some good detailed info on it and you can find some good information on the foureyedpride.com messageboard.

I'm not sure if they ever made an aftermarket shifter for the SROD. But it is similar in design to the Borg Warner T-5, maybe you can get away with one of those shifters? I could be wrong. I say just use it for now and save up for a T-5 or Tremec if you plan on puttin down some hp.

Nope they didnt make an aftermarket shifter for the borg warner SROD,RUG trans and the T-5 shifter will not work ..the srod uses 3 bolts and a spacer on the shifter plate the t-5 uses 4...The srod can be made to handle a decent amount of power but it's not worth it...the case is the same as the older ford toploader trans but its am\luminum compared to the cast iron toploader which makes it real weak...I searched for months on end to find a short throw shifter for it and no one sells anything at all your only option is to cut down the handle..BTW My srod/rug lasted 3 trips down the quarter at 10.05 and blew the rear of the tail shaft clean off and the rebuilt srod lasted for a cruise from my house to the supermarket in the same car with the same setup not even beating on it and blew the rear bearing ,driveshaft and rear trans seal I swapped to a g-force prepped trans with straight cut gears now i have no problems besides people thinkin i have a supercharger

http://www.mustanggt.org/83gt.htm

"At the beginning of the ‘83 model year, the Ford 4-speed SROD was standard in the ‘83 (a carry-over from 1982 GT’s), however in early December 1982 (December 6 is believed to be the changeover date), the standard transmission became the all-new, stronger Borg Warner T-5 5-speed transmission. Interestingly, the 5-speed was made the standard transmission with the SROD 4-speed available as an optional transmission. Those who ordered the optional 4-speed received a credit of $124 on the window sticker."