1985 gt convertible ruff idle & slow throttle response

Myfirstgt

Oct 9, 2023
Fla
I don’t know if these 85 mustang gt have altitude adjustments or not. This car came from Ohio. I was told the car had a full tune up on it before it was delivered here, but it has a ruff idle and when I hit the go pedal, it hesitates for a second. I didn’t know if it just needed some top end cleaner or parts and adjustments?

• Sponsors (?)

i would check the vacuum lines.. The precomputer " smog " on these cars is full of vacuum lines.... With the age of this car I would assume they are in pretty poor shape if they are still original....

Reactions: 1 user
Not really sure how long it sat. I doubt it was very long. Owner passed away and car was sold. Obviously the dudes who did the tune up on it and said it was running great had No idea. I will inspect all the vacuum hoses and see what I can find. I’m pretty sure everything on the car is original. I take some pictures.

There are 'squirter nozzes' pointing towards the center of the front barrels of the carb, those are for the 'accelerator pump' that should shoot some fuel out when the go peddle is pushed. If no fuel shoots out the accelerator pump is bad or needs adjustment, may need the carb freshened up. Ever work on a fuel atomizer (carb) before?
There are other things that could cause the symtoms you are having

Anybody have a complete list of what is necessary to swap one of these to a 4bbl carb?

I don't know a ton about the CFI but I do recall the carbed cars stomped all over them.
I don't think I've ever seen a complete list in one spot. Right off the top of my head... Intake manifold, dizzy and ignition swap as it's got TFI, need to regulate down the fuel pressure or swap to a whole carbed style fuel system, I think there may need to be some minor wiring changes made for the WOT AC cut out switch/emissions deal. I can't think of anything else right now.