1988 5.0 Ho Build Advice Needed,

I still remember the old 15" gatorbacks that came stock on my 89'. Those sucked! My 86 had Goodyears on it when I bought the car. The front tires where all worn out on the inner tread and rode terrible. This was also due to the front suspension/alignment. The rears still had descent tread but didn't grip the road very well at all. Not a fan of Goodyears lol.

I liked the pirrelli's (don't remember model number either) that were on my 93. They were a good compromise. I also ran a set of 16" falken tires back in the early 90's. I liked those fairly well. I'm running sumitomas(spelling?) on the front right now on my 86. Have had them for 3 years but only a few thousand miles on them. They look brand new and handled well on the street. They are a cheaper alternative. I bought them at American Muscle.

• Sponsors (?)

I ran sumitomos on my z28. Great tire for the money.

I got a real kick out of your "hover M-16"! And not just because it was clever, which it is. Back in the 1980's I got drafted and at one of the firing ranges I was given an M-14 3.08 with three rounds to zero in prone position.

That M-14 was set on fully automatic (there were a few of them but I did not know) and all three rounds cycled all at once in about 1/3 of a second. Think of a 12 guage shotgun. Add to that I had the butplate unfolded and sitting on top of my shoulder. It does not sit flat but angles up thus creating a pinching action.

The rifle ended up an entire foot to the right of my prone body, and my shoulder became one sore mess. Thank heaven they did not have us load 5 rounds!

In Nam I was in garison and we used M-14 in guard duty in tall revetted towers. None the M-14 I ever saw had fully automatic selectors. I clearly remember lugging my m-14 with 400 rounds (20 magazines), and M-60 Machine gun, two 100 round belts of ammo plus and M-79 grenade launcer and one bandolier of grenades.

I looked like something out of a Mad Maxx Movie! In the tower we had about a dozen wire sets out into the perimeter and claymore mines so we were loaded for bear.

Not that any bears, VC, or NVA ever came close to us. They would routinely fire clusters of 122mm Katushas and they were sort of fun. WOOOOSSSSSH ------- BANG!

Our base was about one mile square and we were the furthest support base towards the Laotion/Cambodian border. And so even when we might get 50 rounds I am unaware of any casualties. Blew the hell out of my office one night and put a big whole in the company street. But these are not especially powerful weapons. We also quarded the HUGE ammo dump that was about a mile or two in front of us.

I had two close calls. One night the 122s were augmented by some rpg-7s and one of them detonated about 100 ft from me at the 2:00 position. There was no delay from the flash and the bang. But that is a penetration weapon aimed at the quard tower and when it missed it simply self detonated. I suppose some of the debris might have been dangerous but I did not get a single impact.

The other close call was a 105 mm howetzer short round. Our base was a few miles in front of Artillery Hill. One day while on daytime perimeter quard duty we were in an above ground reveted fox hole. (A double wall chest high circle of corugated roofing with about a foot of earth between the two walls.)

Woooosh, Woooosh, Wooooosh, Woooosh, WOOOSH BANG! About 150 feet out in front of us in the wire. All the explosion went forward and we did not even get dirty. We did not even report it. We figured the Artillery guys would be changing their OD Green undershorts and that was good enough for us.

Stories stories stories.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to post to this thread and apologize for it taking me so long to reply (life :poo:). As I replied on an earlier post,I defiantly need to get the suspension and whatever bolt on enhancements I need squared away 1st as I makes no sense to just slap on my rebuilt 308 and ignore the ride platform. I do have the turbocoupe front sway bar already and will defiantly get the 1" rear away bar. I definitely need to install subframe connectors (installing underneath vs ripping out the interior and installing them inside the car). Also, I do have the ability to get my hands on a Ford 9"rear end (s

Attachments

• 20160123_161648.jpg
    20160123_161648.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 125
I really appreciate you all taking the time to post to this thread and apologize for it taking me so long to reply (life :poo:). As I replied on an earlier post,I defiantly need to get the suspension and whatever bolt on enhancements I need squared away 1st as I makes no sense to just slap on my rebuilt 308 and ignore the ride platform. I do have the turbocoupe front sway bar already and will defiantly get the 1" rear away bar. I definitely need to install subframe connectors (installing underneath vs ripping out the interior and installing them inside the car). Also, I do have the ability to get my hands on a Ford 9"rear end (any advice would be helpful to make sure its feasible and what gears to run). I,m also getting gt40 upper and lower intake and head(.i was thinking of installing dart 1 heads)as they are off the shelf plug and play( for the most part).. once all the basics have been done,then I can start on the power plant and all the supporting components to make everything work in concert. Again,any feedback,comments or suggestions are much appreciated.