1989 Mustang Hatch Headliner Padding?

TechSteele

Mar 8, 2009
North Coast
Hello People,

I wasnt sure where to put this (i know it sounds cliché)

I had to take down my headliner today to reach some wiring.

Unfortunately, the padding was Old, Rotted, and totally disintegrated into a powder, then made a REAL Mess on my New Carpet, GRRRRRRR!! :mad:

Anyway, Does anyone know, or have suggestions on what can be used to replace the padding?
I was thinking of using the bubblewrap/foil backed style insulation. Its light in weight, and should work as well as the old stuff (whatever it WAS).

Anyone know what it should be?, or what could be used?, or what would be better then the bubble wrap?, or where the foam (or whatever) can be purchased?

The Cardboard form is in good shape, and the felt is dirty, but also in pretty good shape, and even stuck fast all over, no sags, YET, hehe

Thanks all,
Steele

• Sponsors (?)

I know the Dynamat stuff.
Its Just Sound Deadener isnt it?

It might work up there, there is a couple small pieces like that up there as well from the factory. It keeps the roof noise down im sure.

This stuff was for insulation i think.
I will look around some more yet.
I dont think house padding would work, i dont know why, but think it is different, the auto stuff would need to hold up under more harsh conditions, i would think, but i could be wrong.

If any other suggestions are around, im open for ideas.

Mine did the same to my new black carpet!! I replaced it with the insulation from my black interior donar car. Anyway, there was a guy that used the press on foil backed foam insulation on his car that he got from Lowes or Home Depot. It was cheaper than the Dynomat and seemed to work fairly well. I might try that as an additional sound deadener.