1992 4cyl to v8 swap

cayton_92

May 3, 2004
i have a 1992 lx that was a 4cyl it was stripped and then i bought it now i want to put a v8 in it the car is perfect never painted with 60000 miles. i have the correct fuel lines and brake lines for it and i have my engine, trans and rear end, the wiring was cut at both fire wall locations. i was trying to decide if i should go with fuel injection or carb? what is the best way to get my wiring back under the hood (donor car)? and has anyone done it and got everyting to work properly and would you be willing to give me some useful tips thanks for all your help. PS if you have any good parts for sale email me :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Get a wiring harness for a '92 V8 stang and it's plug and play. Did exactly the same thing last year. Ford got tricky with the harnesses so try to find a '92 one to be sure. I think the '90-'91 harnesses have gauge wires different and maybe the fuel pump relay location. Ours was '92 lx vert V8 into a '92 lx hatch 4.

Jamie

Fuel injected will be better for daily driving gas mileage, when I first put my block in I was getting 26mpg highway until I started modding it...

Take pictures, it helps. I have about 100mb worth of pics I took with my digital camera while doing my swap.

I have a 93 that I used an 89 donor car to build from. The 92 & 93 harness are actuallythe same. I have a 92 in my car b/c thats what the mustang parts yard had when I went to get it. It works properly and has for the past 2 years now.

1989 harness have 2 connectors to the dash harness, 90-91 have 1 but fuel pump relays are under drivers seat, 92-93 have 1 connector to dash harness and fuel pump and airbag relays are on passanger side of engine bay.

Some of these pics might help, ive got more specific ones if you need to see how someing is routed: http://home.grandecom.net/~afast93stang