1993 cobra engine

gebasgt

Jul 5, 2003
How much horsepower can a stock 1993 cobra mustang engine handle without doing damage to internals? I have read and heard its around 450 RWHP that it can handle but Im looking for more opinions/experience, Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah....probably about 450hp. They're basically the same as the GT engine, but with Hypereutectic pistons. If you plan on beating it regularily, then you're going to break it. It's usually a toss up as to whether the block, or the internals go first.

No, not beating it regularly but if I want to get on it when needed ;) I would. And I never taking it in the red only the yellow and dont like doing that. Heres what Im wanting to do, I want to change my pulley from the 9Lb to an 11LB pulley which with my anderson powerpipe will put me at around 13LBS of boost and somewhere in the neighborhood of 425RWHP. Im just debating on whether or not I should do this for fear of engine/slash piston failure.

No, not beating it regularly but if I want to get on it when needed ;) I would. And I never taking it in the red only the yellow and dont like doing that. Heres what Im wanting to do, I want to change my pulley from the 9Lb to an 11LB pulley which with my anderson powerpipe will put me at around 13LBS of boost and somewhere in the neighborhood of 425RWHP. Im just debating on whether or not I should do this for fear of engine/slash piston failure.

Get your stock tach calibrated (search this forum) because your car in the "Yellow" might actually be deep in the "Red."

You'll probably lose the block over time with that kind of horsepower.

Mine must have been built after the hangovers and before the parties started back up again. It made 525 athe wheels (cobra525) for about 5 years before I parked it for other reasons. The 450 range is about where those around me started losing hard parts though. I guess I got a good one...

Mine must have been built after the hangovers and before the parties started back up again. It made 525 athe wheels (cobra525) for about 5 years before I parked it for other reasons. The 450 range is about where those around me started losing hard parts though. I guess I got a good one...

you could still be in a safe range. If your hp rating is dyno #'s they range all over the place dyno to dyno and brand to brand. I have done quite a few dyno meets and mine has been all over the place. weather, the dyno, and other things are a factor. you are right though I have seen plenty of factory freaks before but you dont know how good it is until it breaks before that time they are good.