1993 steel 2" cowl hood, like from LMR

SeaCorey

Dec 5, 2011
Tampa FL
Will this hood allow hot air to vent while sitting still? To any meaningful degree...?
It's not giving me any problems since I put in the new radiator and it runs cool when moving, don't need it for induction the filter's in the fender, but temps can climb more than I'd like when sitting at idle, esp w/the A/C on.
I like the look, no more than 2" though, but I'm not going to do it just for looks.
Thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it will.

The downside is that air you're getting through the radiator while moving will be reduced because of the inducted cowl.

I counteracted this with a chin spoiler.

Reactions: 1 user
likely that very little actual temperature reduction while sitting still.
They look cool though.
Now, I don't have a list of all temps I took but it was significant.

I run the OEM fan and shroud (in other words: it moves a lot of air), aluminum heads, and a Kenne Bell. Sitting with the hood closed, made a huge difference and was also the easiest thing to test. LoL

Back 'in the day' I was apt to take a nap in the 'dump truck' I would open the hood a few inches and it would idle cool for hours, ac on in the summer!
If I was to look for some idle time cooling I'd vent the hood in the area on the sides of the hood, a few inches behind the radiator, you would want it past the shroud, likely just a few square inches would work.
I think even though that cowl hood is vented at the rear there are to many obstacles for the air to move around then out. :shrug:

Does the car have the side air deflectors on either side of the radiator? They help with directing the air pulled through the radiator is from the front of the car.

Also, if you have the stock fan setup you should look at getting a heavy duty fan clutch as this will also aid in the fan pulling more air through the radiator. Most parts stores sell the HD version.

Another possibility is the AC condenser fins are plugged, partially plugged, and/or dirty. I only say this as a buddy found this to be his problem. Power washed the condenser out and his car started cooling better and the AC worked way better. If you do this be very careful to not damage the fins.

Does the car have the side air deflectors on either side of the radiator? They help with directing the air pulled through the radiator is from the front of the car.

Also, if you have the stock fan setup you should look at getting a heavy duty fan clutch as this will also aid in the fan pulling more air through the radiator. Most parts stores sell the HD version.

Another possibility is the AC condenser fins are plugged, partially plugged, and/or dirty. I only say this as a buddy found this to be his problem. Power washed the condenser out and his car started cooling better and the AC worked way better. If you do this be very careful to not damage the fins.
Yes side deflectors are there, a bit beat up but still seem to be up to the job.
I've been thinking about the fan clutch, again no cooling problems at the moment, and no reason to think it's misbehaving, but it DOES have over 200k on it...
I'm really just trying to over-engineer the cooling so I don't have to ever worry about it - at all - idling w-A/C on in stupid hot Florida.
Same with the condenser, it does have some dings and such, but it all works fine, just a bit of creep on the temp gauge if I push it w-A/C on (no coolant dump). I've sprayed it w-hose and kinda w-pressure washer, cleaning it out more deliberately sounds like a good idea.
Hopefully I don't have to replace it before I have the engine refreshed at some point.

Another option would be a 1.5" or 2" cowl hood. I have run a 1.5" HO Fibertrends bolt on hood on my Coupe for years. It clears the Edelbrock Performer RPM II with a 1" phenolic spacer.

Last edited:
Another option would be a 1.5" or 2" cowl hood. I have run a 1.5" HO Fibertrends bolt on hood on my Coupe for years. It clears the Edelbrock Performer RPM II with a 1" phenolic spacer.

The 1.5" would be great, looks like a good unit & company, I wouldn't mind fiberglass for the lesser rise.
Does it let heat out while sitting at idle?

Interesting, thanks for that. I'm not opposed to a chin spoiler, what unit did you use?

I cut down the chin spoiler from an 83 Bronco (I think it was): https://www.ebay.com/b/Air-Dams-for-Ford-Bronco/38658/bn_1375643

Just measure how wide you want it to be and order that one. Then I went around with an orbital sander and heat gun and made it fit. This thing sits right below the radiator support so air has no choice. LoL

The good news is that there are better options out there now. I saw a post in the last week or two about bolt-on Fox chin spoilers that are out there. They look nice IMO. I'm considering one for myself.

As was said on here, double check your condenser and your radiator fins... Had a car that was entirely plugged in the radiator exterior fins. STill not sure how it was so plugged... Took the radiator out of the car and blew it clear with air and water....... No more overheating.....

The truck in the pic came with a louvred hood from a previous owner.. Factory 454 / Turbo 400.. I installed a 2:50 rear end gear set.... It never once overheated or actually went over the 180 degree temp bar on the gauge.... Towed that heavy 23' boat all over the state.....
I am sure the louvred hood helped keep it cool..... You can make out the louvres ( sp?) on the back half of the hood in this pic
DSCF0225.JPG

Automistake strikes again! lol

I had to look up and make sure that the Louvre was actually spelled that way. I thought it was but wasn't 100%. Now we know, and - well, you know....

1703081371144.png

Buying a hood and then having it painted seems like an extreme solution.
I'd exhaust every option before going that route.
From a visual standpoint, i'd be real careful what you do, just slapping a big hood on a stock looking vert could create a very lopsided look.
I run a 1.5 cervni's and honestly i'm looking forward to reinstalling a stock hood when i get the car painted (assuming it fits).

Would never go back to a stock hood but I like the look of the cowl on my coupe. I chose the HO Fibertrends due to the rounded edges running up the hood which to me were more subtle than the hard edges most of the other brands have. Basically doesn't draw your eye straight to the hood but you know its there. I also like the additional room for the 1" spacer between the upper and lower intakes as I am not sure even with cutting the structural on the stock hood if it would have fit and then the hood is flimsy.

Anyhow, fit my needs and I do like cowl hoods so just a preference.

Reactions: 1 users