1998 mustang 4.6 Buyer Questions Please help!!

ksalmeron

Apr 30, 2011
Im looking to purchase a 1998 convertible mustang 4.6 L thats been sittin it has broken tail lights. and was impounded. THE ISSUES under the hood bother me most. there is no intake manifold or wiring to it. The car has been sitting for a while i believe it was a repo. the tow truck guy said it was missing intake and a moch sensor? The front left inside in the engine compartment is almost empty. they want 2,000 for the car and cosmetically looks good. What is the catch? any mustang brains that can let me know more?

• Sponsors (?)

Not to sound like a dick but you dont seem too mechanically inclined or have done any research at all. Pass on it and if you really want a mustang, save about 6k more and get a turn key.

Sounds like the previous owner had a supercharger and a few other mods on the motor that they wanted to remove before being repo'd.

I wouldn't be surprised if it needed an additional $2000 to get it running.

I'd pass if I were you.

I would definitely pass. Anything with a shady background like that would be something to avoid. It almost sounds like the guy knew it was about to be repo'ed and purposely trashed it. This car could need far more than just what is visually obvious.

If you can't drive it or even start it in it's current condition, how to you know the engine isn't internally damaged or seized, or whether or not the clutch, transmission, rear end, or pretty much anything else is functional or not? Hell, how do you know there aren't drugs in the gas tank that someone out there is after? Nothing would surprise me in an impound/repo situation.

DONT DO IT, or offer him $500 cash and part the res out, the convert top could go for 500 alone, but if it were me id slap the tow truck driver and ask if he were an idiot. and question you the same for even considering it.

Im looking to purchase a 1998 convertible mustang 4.6 L thats been sittin it has broken tail lights. and was impounded. THE ISSUES under the hood bother me most. there is no intake manifold or wiring to it. The car has been sitting for a while i believe it was a repo. the tow truck guy said it was missing intake and a moch sensor? The front left inside in the engine compartment is almost empty. they want 2,000 for the car and cosmetically looks good. What is the catch? any mustang brains that can let me know more?

I am not sure if it is just me, but i have known a guy who repo's cars and if he feels he can make some extra cash he will tell all of his friends about the parts, sell them, then just lists on the repo order that it is the way the car came. Duck the offer and wait for another deal, you wont regret it. :nice: