2.3 Head Gasket Replacement

Okay. I've thought it through and talked about it with my old man. And he had some questions before I proceed. (He doesn't want to "blow his money on a useless project)

Okay, I'm buying a Haynes manual just for a guide to the process. But I need to know exactly what I'll need, when talking about parts.

I know that I'll need:
- Head Gasket
- Valve Cover Gasket
- 5 Quarts of Oil

Now I'm thinking. What else will I need? Are there any more gaskets that I'll need to replace (or want to?) Or is that it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

well you can get an entire gasket kit for the head from autozone or oreilly's or other parts places, it includes the headgasket and all the intake gaskets and a exahust manifold gasket as well I believe, it also includes valve seals and cam seals and everything, its basically EVERY gasket for anything that attaches to the head.

I think the whole pack runs around 40 bucks for every gasket.

if you don't get the above pack you will need to get a TB gasket at a minimum as well, they sell those seperately about 5-10 bucks. the TB is really the only thing you need to remove because it gets in the way of pulling off the valve cover to access the headbolts the rest of the intake manifold can stay attached to the head, and gives you something better to grab ahold of when trying to pull the head of the car.

i'd suggest getting the new style valve cover gasket from ford, its rubber, and has a metal insert, and is REUSABLE. it does cost a little more though. but its a much better design.

Mwahahahaha, talked to the old man, put on the "You gave me the car and now it doesn't work right after you said it was perfect" - game, and now, as of Monday, I'm getting my car from the shop,a gasket set and a big ol' tool set, and everything i need for a top end rebuild. Then next weekend, I'm getting my hand dirty. :nice:

toadstang said:
Okay. I've thought it through and talked about it with my old man. And he had some questions before I proceed. (He doesn't want to "blow his money on a useless project)

Okay, I'm buying a Haynes manual just for a guide to the process. But I need to know exactly what I'll need, when talking about parts.

I know that I'll need:
- Head Gasket
- Valve Cover Gasket
- 5 Quarts of Oil

Now I'm thinking. What else will I need? Are there any more gaskets that I'll need to replace (or want to?) Or is that it? :shrug:

oil filter