2.3 vs 5.0 steering & springs

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
I just bought a 92 2.3 notch the other day and being that I have always driven 5.0's, the 2.3 feels kinda weird to me. The steering and suspension just somehow seems less responsive and mushy compared to my other cars. Do the 2.3 cars have a different ratio rack than the 5.0 cars? Can I just swap in a 5.0 rack? Also, I know the springs on the 4cyl are different because the nose is lighter but is it just the fronts that are different from the 5.0 cars or are the 5.0 springs a stiffer spring all around? I am wanting the car to feel more like my 5.0 cars which all have aftermarket springs but all the springs only have listings for v8 cars. What kind of springs do you guys run and where do you get them. I afraid that if I use the v8 springs that the front end will be too stiff and sit too high. And lastly, is there any advantage to swapping in swaybars from a 5.0 car?

• Sponsors (?)

The 2.3 has a 20:1 rack while the 5.0 has, I believe, a 15:1. You can swap racks easily. I'm running an Eibach Pro-Kit specifically for the 4/6 cylinder cars, the nose doesn't ride high at all. Swaybars are a must.

Ash

The car probably feels "mushy" due to the stock swaybar in front being 7/8" with none in the back. Definitely swap in the V8 swaybars and use some polyurethane bushings and aftermarket endlinks on the front one.

For the springs, from what I've heard the rears are all the same, but I can't confirm that. However if you cut a coil off some stock V8 springs and put them in front they stiffen it up pretty nicely, and should sit close to stock ride height.

although I could tell a big difference between the SVO's original TRW rack and the new GT one I put in it (the TRW sucked). I can't tell the difference between my SVO's new GT rack and my LX's original rack. Swaybars, good struts, strut tower brace, will go a huge ways in making that car carve. That's a good start to great handling.

there are 2 different racks, One is like 2.5 turns Lock to lock and the other is 2.0 turns lock to lock. I may not have the numbers exact but there are 2 different racks and one has 1/2 turn more then other. I put the Tighter rack on my car when my stocker blew out and i dont really notice a difference. Swaybars DO however make a huge difference. Pick up some junkyard GT bars and install them. You will be very happy with the results.

Dr.

So is it mainly the lack of sway bar that makes the ass wiggle whenever I hit a bump? I dont really need the car to handle like a race car or anything so I wonder if the springs are even nessecary. I will probably try the sway bars first and see how much difference that makes. Are there provisions in the back for a swaybar to mount or will I have to do some kind of modification for the GT bar to mount up?

Dr_EluSivE said:
there are 2 different racks, One is like 2.5 turns Lock to lock and the other is 2.0 turns lock to lock. I may not have the numbers exact but there are 2 different racks and one has 1/2 turn more then other. I put the Tighter rack on my car when my stocker blew out and i dont really notice a difference.

The 5.0 rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock and the 2.3L rack is 3.0 turns.

I am probably the only 5.0 driver to have a 2.3L rack in their car. I really hate it because if i do some spirited driving i am turning the wheel like crazy. It makes parallel parking easy as hell though. I can drive with my pinky finger even with 245's.

Manual rack coming soon anyway. Time for some road-racing/autoX

Red_LX said:
By the way, what size/kind of tires are you running? I went from 205/70R14's on my old '90 to 225/60R15's on 10-hole wheels....huge difference, especially once I put on the bigger swaybars.
The car came with ten holes and 4 mismatched, bald tires mostly 205's. I had a set of ten holes with 225/60 cooper cobras laying around from when I put the Cobra Rs on my 90 so I put those on there. Im not so concerned with making the car a real corner carver. My main bitch is that it just feels ...soggy. Hard to explain but when I hit a bump it just kinda wiggles.

You need subframe connectors badly. Granted, they'll make you feel the inadequacy of your suspension by making it actually work the way it's supposed to instead of letting the chassis absorb shock, but you'll appreciate the difference.

Ash

My 93 notchback 4 cyl came with the faster steering already on it. Also, the K member (and front end geometry) is different on the 5.0 and 2.3 to fit the larger tires. I've done two 4 cyl to 5.0 swaps and it does make a difference.

JB66 said:
My 93 notchback 4 cyl came with the faster steering already on it. Also, the K member (and front end geometry) is different on the 5.0 and 2.3 to fit the larger tires. I've done two 4 cyl to 5.0 swaps and it does make a difference.
Thats interesting. I was always under the impression that the 4cyl and the 5.0 k-member was the same. I have no intention of changing it on this car though, especially if its just for tire clearance, I have no issues there.

MrKwik said:
Thats interesting. I was always under the impression that the 4cyl and the 5.0 k-member was the same. I have no intention of changing it on this car though, especially if its just for tire clearance, I have no issues there.

It's just for tire clearance. Just a small tweak in '91. Both k-members will accept both the 2.3L and 5.0 engines. No need to swap when doing a 4 to 8 conversion.

I took your guys advice and installed front and rear sway bars off of a GT and energy suspension bushings & end links. My god what a difference! The car no longer drives like a wet noodle. I installed some new back shocks for good measure cause they were the original 92 stockers but that didnt seem to make too much difference, just quieted it down. One of those shocks was clunking. I cant wait to get some Eibach springs and a 5.0 rack on there. I wont be able to tell the difference from my 5.0 cars, sept for the slow :D

I was under the impression the reason for the ratio difference in the two racks is the handling package. Basicaly the small plastic clips used to keep the GTs from over steering with the larger 16" wheels. The 4cl had the smaller tires which allowed them to turn tighter without rubbing. Other than that the two racks are the same but don't quote me on it. Heck 99% of the Ford guys including the front end guys didn't know what I was talking about when I wanted to buy those clips. I went through all that trouble to find some and a year later I still haven't install them :rolleyes:

Mustang5L5 said:
The 5.0 rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock and the 2.3L rack is 3.0 turns.

I am probably the only 5.0 driver to have a 2.3L rack in their car. I really hate it because if i do some spirited driving i am turning the wheel like crazy. It makes parallel parking easy as hell though. I can drive with my pinky finger even with 245's.

Manual rack coming soon anyway. Time for some road-racing/autoX
Nope your not the only one :rolleyes: :nonono: the guy at the parts store helped me out with that one. I didnt realize it was a 4cyl rack til it was already on. This was already the 2nd rack I took off and on, so I said the hell with doing it a 3rd time. I put synthetic fluid in it while I was at it. Its definatly a different feeling. Its like driving my dads 66 mustang or a real big caddy.....its really "touchy". Now that Im used to it, I actually kinda like it. The guy at the local mustang performance shop loved it and wanted to know what kind of aftermarket rack I had. lol :shrug:

Crap my 2.3 came with 195/70/14's on it just swapping from 14's to 215/6015's and putting in GT seats made a HUGE differecne.. But my car is a coupe. It actually felt sportier than my GT convertible!