Fox 2.3L AC Conversion?

I have a 1992 2.3L, I've had it almost five years now and the AC hasn't worked since it blew a line in the first couple months I owned it. Right now I am focusing on a bunch of other repairs to get her back on the road in good shape. However, I figured I would post a thread regarding what I would need to convert the old AC system to R134 or R1234. I had the system drained of any remaining R12 soon after the line blew, so it should be completely empty. Can I replace the system slowly piece by piece? I see parts on Rock Auto that say they are rated for 134, can I just get those? Is this even a repair I can or should realistically attempt? Should I leave this to a shop instead? What would a conversion entale in summary? If I can't do the entire conversion on my own, what parts of the conversion can I actually perform on my own? Any answers or inputs are greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I converted my R12 system to R134 without a bunch of crazy parts. I had it sucked down, leak checked, and serviced with a R134 compatible oil then chraged to 80%.

That said, there is a thread about rebuilding the compressor here:

You will also find the R134 size fittings you need in that thread.

I think Late Model Restoration has the individual lines, drier, and condenser, if you require any of those parts.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
It isn't hard. You need an ac r134 retrofit kit ( basically adapters for the fittings ) They should come with the correct fittings for the line. The major difference is actually in the oil r12 and r134 use. You have to use Ester oil. It's compatible with both. All you should need after that is the line that broke and a new receiver dryer. The dryer will fill with moisture over time if the line is open. The ac compressor needs to be emptied, oil in compressor measured in measuring cup, and Ester oil added to compressor.

I've done the retrofit kits without vacuuming the system down. Worked out well but isn't the " proper " way to do it. System should be vacuumed down before filling. I used the tall cans with the hose attachment in the local parts stores.

Reactions: 1 user