2 5/8" gauges in a 2004?

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. As some of you have heard, I just signed on an 04 GT. I've got alot to learn about these modular cars, but I'm an old pushrod veteran and know my way around a stang. Here's my newest question. I have 5 gauges in my 87 of the 2 5/8" variety: oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, fuel pressure, and volts. All I can find is gauge pods and such for the smaller 2 1/16" gauges for these 99+ cars. Are there any setups out there that house the bigger gauges, or do I need to sell 'em all and start over?
Thanks again guys!

Just for the street cred lol, they're all Autometer Phantoms. :D

The other thing I was thinking is maybe I could buy a triple pillar for 2 1/16" and then use a dremel wheel to clearance it a little bit and get the bigger gauges to fit. The difference is only 9/16", and it looks like there's enough plastic there to make it work...

• Sponsors (?)

checked both Summit and CJponyparts.com, both only list 2 1/16" gauge pods. Are you sure you have the bigger 2 5/8" gauges in your car, and if so, where did you get that pillar setup? Even google can't find it.

Well, since I can't find any more info, I was thinking this: Grab a UPR tach bracket, and then build a custom platform on the dash where the older cars have the clock pod out of some material to make a level surface between the two "dash bulges", and then finish it in black. Get 5 chrome gauge cups, and mount them on this platform. Run the wires/steel lines through maybe the defroster area, and then into the engine bay. It will have 5 gauge cups (oil pressure, water temp, volts, fuel pressure, boost) facing directly into the cockpit with the tach mounted where the UPR bracket puts it. What do you guys think?

Definitely sounds old school. Your influence from your background might have you taking a turn from the normal, according to these boards. That will be refreshing.

As far as gague placement goes, I'm all into concealing them. I'd rather passerby's not be able to see huge gauges down my pillar. I like the center mounting idea, I just wonder how cleanly you can do it. Take pics of the process!

Well, my biggest problem is making the platform. I'm thinking stainless steel, so it looks nice and stands up. If I had a CNC machine or something, I could just make it fit. I just want it to level off the dash, and be wide enough for 5 chrome gauge cups. I'll come up with something...