200 amp alternator wire

• Sponsors (?)

Once you determine the gauge and length of your wire go down to Napa Auto parts. They'll cut the wire to length and crimp on the connectors you select. I just replaced all of my wires during the engine swap and only made one trip to the parts store.

badstang123 said:
The gauge of wire is actually dependent on both the amp output as well as the length the wire is run. This is a pretty good guide:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/charge_wires.html

I would not go by that chart personally. Putting possibly 200 amps on a 4 gauge wire is fairly insane. Especially when you consider how hot it is under the hood of a car (yes this affects the resistance of the wire).

But hey its not my car, do as you please :nice:

yellow1995Cobra
I would not go by that chart personally. Putting possibly 200 amps on a 4 gauge wire is fairly insane. Especially when you consider how hot it is under the hood of a car (yes this affects the resistance of the wire).

But hey its not my car, do as you please

I'm definately not one to bash overkill :hail2: . I actually ran Stinger Expert 1/0 Awg when I did my alternator upgrade. I am also running thousands of watts in stereo and two optima batteries though. Powermasters came up with that chart for output according to their alternators, all of which go under the hood of a car. I'm not sure where else you would put it :shrug: . I have to imagine they took heat from under the hood into account.