2000 GT: Steering

That's what I have a feeling this is. Haven't had time to dig into it to track it down, but looks like I might have to swap out the rack. I want to go through the steering shaft first however before deciding what to replace.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Played with car tonight. It’s not the steering shaft/rag joint. Definitely the rack.

Hoped on Rockauto and saw they had a reman 2004 cobra rack (Cardone) for $250 (core included) or a wholesaler close out Cardone 2004 GT rack for $80 without core. I went for the latter.

Sucks I need to install and redo the alignment….grr.

Reactions: 1 user
That's super cheap for a rack. I wonder of there is a sector shaft adjustment onside the rack like the old steering boxes. Would be worth tearing one apart to find out.

I’ve always wanted to tear one apart. Since this rack doesn’t need a core maybe I’ll pull the GT rack apart.

I do have a cobra rack on my shelf that is cracked where the hydraulic lines attach. Was going to try to repair this one day by welding some 6AN fittings on.

I didn’t buy the cobra rack because when the above cobra rack broke on my fox and I put an 04GT rack in, I didn’t feel any difference. From what I read on the road racing boards, the difference is more at high speeds where one would notice it. Since I won’t be doing that much, not necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
When I replaced the original rack it had over 100k on it, O'Reilly's had two options I choose the quick ratio one and its still going strong.
When I took the old one out I measured the outter tie rods and installed them on new unit and never realigned it. No problemo.

All SN95 are 15:1 even the V6. The difference is stiffness in turning.

The story told me was all the old hens at ford in the 70s and 80s wanted overassisted steering. It’s when they all started to retire in the 90s that they were able to stiffen up the steering a bit.

I have an SPr-SJ in the car, I ordered a reman ZK rack.

I have a ZM in the Fox

IMG_0080.jpeg