2000 GT: More Cobra stuff

• Sponsors (?)

Since I had my side scoop off.

Before. Some hard water marks in the clearcoat.

IMG_8115.jpeg

And after.
IMG_8116.jpeg

I went ahead and ordered some ceramic coating.

Reactions: 1 user
What coating did you purchase? I am asking because I want to protect the single stage paint on my 89 and keep it from oxidizing. Wife picked up the mother CMX stuff a few years ago. I never used it till recently. From what I read it is good for the money but does not last very long. Just curious what you know about ceramic stuff.

I went with this stuff. Got recommended it from another site and it wasn’t outrageous. Found a $5 off coupon online for it too.

I know there’s other stuff out there that might be considered better (graphene) but wanted to cut my teeth on something a little more modest priced. I want to see how this turns out in the sunlight, and if it looks great I’m gonna buy (better) supplies to do it on my fox body.

More progress made.

Hood and front bumper done.
IMG_8236.jpeg

Working on other areas too.

A pillar
IMG_8235.jpeg

Did a tape off halfway across
IMG_8237.jpeg

Did the trunk. Came out very clean but it’s a shame that the paint is lifting in spots and chipping off. I bought some touch up paint, so going to fill them all
IMG_8238.jpeg

Need to still do pass side next. But cruising along. When I’m done I’ll give it a final wipe down and apply the ceramic coating.

Spring almost here. Need alignment and will tint the windows

Reactions: 1 users
Rear bumper done.

Backed it out to flip it around in the garage. Just need to do opposite fenders and door and ready to apply the ceramic coating.

Even the wife remarked “wow, it’s not a POS anymore”

IMG_8262.jpeg
IMG_8264.jpeg
IMG_8265.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Buffing done. Waiting for a good day to apply the ceramic.

In the meantime, ordered myself a Raxiom sequential taillight kit and flasher. Always wanted one of these way back in 2003 when I bought my GT. They were expensive back then for my broke college ass.

IMG_8321.jpeg

Applied ceramic to most of the car. I thought it was shiny when I started but wow this stuff really brings it out.

Ceramic applied on right. Naked hood on left. You can see that the paint does have flaws. This is going to be a 10 footer. A nice driver.
IMG_8364.jpeg

But pics don’t do it justice.
IMG_8366.jpeg

Gotta do a couple more panels, maybe the glass and lights and then maybe a second coat on the hood and upper panels and then let it cure for 7 days.

Almost cruising weather. Gonna be fun.

Still on the fence about the hood scoop. I’m 50/50 on if I add it.

So, the Eibach pro-kit and Bilsteins are a winner here IMHO. I had some concerns that the suspension might be a tad bit stiff but those fears were resolved. The car rides incredibly close to stock, but might be a tad rougher over broken roads. However in terms of ride quality it's actually quite great, plus is handles well. I do have brand new front control arms as well, so I imagine the fresh rubber bushings help here too. I had the opportunity to take a few off-ramps at speed and she stays flat and level. Of course, that's probably helped by the fact that with the top down, there's not much weight higher than the top of the hood. But overall I was please. Still needs an alignment. My calibrated eyeball alignment is pretty darn close.

Brakes...suck. I think my combo is mismatched. I'm running a set of 94-98 cobra calipers which are 38mm pistons. The 96-98 Cobras came with a 1" bore hydrboost MC. In 99-04 the cobra calipers were 40mm and the MC was 1 1/16" bore. I didn't think the 1/16" would make a difference on hydroboost, but apparently it does. They are just overly firm. I guess i'll see if i can find a pair of 99-04 calipers and swap them.

Convertible top system has a leak. Top went down, struggled to go up. Will need to add fluid. I guess at some point i should just redo the system and install new cylinders and motor. For now i'll top it off.

Radio. SOunds good with top down. Negative is I can't see the screen in full sun. It's just the glare is too strong. I gotta try turning the brightness up. There is a remote control for this radio, so i may purchase it and use that for skipping tracks and volume.

I think next on my agenda, rip the Dorman intake off and swap a PI intake back on, change the spark plugs, and replace the leaking valve cover gaskets.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
You said this car was in a neighbor's driveway? Any comments from him on how it looks now?

Hasn't seen it yet. Other than a couple short drives, it's been in my garage. But everyone else who has seen it can't believe it's the same car. Once nice weather is here this will live in my driveway again. Apparently we have a wintry mix coming this weekend, so it's not quite spring yet...

This weekend. Removing the Dorman intake and putting a ford PI intake back on. Valve cover gaskets (leaking) and new spark plugs. Hoping I can bang that out on Saturday as I have the entire day free.

Because everyone likes a parts spread…

This weekends project:

Ditch Dorman intake, install PI intake
Spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets.

IMG_8549.jpeg

Picked up a used Pi intake strictly for the hardware. The Dorman intake discards all this so needed to source it elsewhere. Believe it or not buying an entire complete intake was cheaper. I’ll likely swap the crossover as well just to save time.

The used intake has a few tiny cracks in the coolant port. Not a failure yet but it wouldn’t have much life left if I swapped it on. I’ll squirrel that away as a last ditch backup.

Tore into it tonight. For some reason I didn’t feel like laying on my back to drain coolant. That’s the last step before I pull the crappy Dorman intake off. No surprises on the tear-down.

IMG_8586.jpeg