2000 Mustang GT - 45k Miles - Repeated Stalling Problem

I have a 2000 Mustang GT with just under 45k miles which has recently been having problems staying running at Idle. When I first turn the key, the car turns over as usual and cranks strong; however, after just a few seconds, the tach drops down to 0 and the car stalls out.

The only way I have been able to get the car running when this occurs is to keep my foot firmly on the throttle (keeping the tach around 900 RPM), then after a few minutes, revving the motor up beyond 6000 and letting it fall back to around 900 before kicking it back up. After doing this 3 or 4 times, the car seems to re-learn its idle point and will drive as normal...

I have not noticed any performance issues when accelerating after this happens; and as such, need help trying to diagnose what may be happening here. My father thinks it may be related to the fuel filter being clogged; which may well be at 45k miles; but it seems too inconsistent to be a fuel issue as the car behaves normally once you rev the motor up a few times; and if you start the car within an hour of stalling, it turns over no problem.

Any thoughts? I will be changing the fuel filter regardless as it probably could stand to be done at 45k miles; but I am at a loss as to what else may be going wrong.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If youve never changed the fuel filter before you may as well change it. Like everyone says it is most likely your IAC. They go bad all the time...If you dont want to buy a new one try taking it off and cleaning it with some carb cleaner. It doesnt always work and often the problem will come back eventually but it could save you some money for now.

..........and change your PCV valve, get one from a Ford dealer and NOT the aftermarket....the leading cause's of IAC issues are from people not changing the PCV at the recommended 30k intervals or from using and aftermarket PCV which draws to much vapor and cloggs up the IAC, intake and plenum

..........and change your PCV valve, get one from a Ford dealer and NOT the aftermarket....the leading cause's of IAC issues are from people not changing the PCV at the recommended 30k intervals or from using and aftermarket PCV which draws to much vapor and cloggs up the IAC, intake and plenum

i just put a fram in yesterday:bang: should i go to the dealer and pick one up?