2000 Mustang Reverse Transmission Prob.

saxymustang06

Jun 10, 2005
I have a 2000 Mustang V6.
just recently, i'm at 38,500 mi., when i shift the car into reverse i have to rev the engine up to around 2,100 rpms to get the car to move backwards. it feels as if it's not truly shifting into reverse or that it's slipping. driving forward seems a little suspect too, a little sluggish in starting off from zero.
checked the transmission fluid level and that's correct.

anybody have any ideas as to what i could check? there are no diagnostic codes as of yet. i could get readings though. help please.

• Sponsors (?)

saxymustang06 said:
I have a 2000 Mustang V6.
just recently, i'm at 38,500 mi., when i shift the car into reverse i have to rev the engine up to around 2,100 rpms to get the car to move backwards. it feels as if it's not truly shifting into reverse or that it's slipping. driving forward seems a little suspect too, a little sluggish in starting off from zero.
checked the transmission fluid level and that's correct.

anybody have any ideas as to what i could check? there are no diagnostic codes as of yet. i could get readings though. help please.

You didn’t say if it was a manual or auto. If it is an auto it’s time for a rebuild and if it is a manual it’s time for a clutch.

it's an auto. here's the thing. it works fine some of the time. like say...
i'll start the car in the morning and pull out of the driveway and everything's fine. but after driving for maybe 20 minutes or so and then trying to go in reverse, then it doesn't work until the engine revs up to 2000 rpms or so, and then it jolts back in spurts and the car shakes... obviously not good then. could this be a trans. fluid filter problem possibly?

saxymustang06 said:
it's an auto. here's the thing. it works fine some of the time. like say...
i'll start the car in the morning and pull out of the driveway and everything's fine. but after driving for maybe 20 minutes or so and then trying to go in reverse, then it doesn't work until the engine revs up to 2000 rpms or so, and then it jolts back in spurts and the car shakes... obviously not good then. could this be a trans. fluid filter problem possibly?

It sounds like you need a trany rebuild.