2003 Z06 Should I buy it?

• Sponsors (?)

take into consideration insurance too? like everyone's saying...the cobra can be turned into a monster for cheaper..but then again.. a z06 is so freakin sexy!

Corvette - regardless of if Cobra can be made faster cheaper or what not - is states symbol. If you want the fast car thats cheaper to make monstor out of, i say go with Cobra. 600hp~700hp is like few thousands buck worth of mods.
But if you want car that can duke out with some exotics, in term of overall performance - like 0~60, 1/4 mils. handling, lateral G's, 60~0, and shifter thats not 3 miles away from you, that every 16y/o punks are gonna drool over, Z-06 has got to be it.
I understand Cobra is much better handling car then our GT with its IRS. But lets not forget that our basic architechture dates back to 1977 Granada.
Semi-macpherson strut front suspension just not even in same dimension as doublewishbone front and rear suspension, even tho it has leaf spring. Remenber, there is a life past 1320 feet.

I would sooo sell my car for Z-06. Thats IF i can afford its premium for insuance and expensive repair parts just because its for Corvette, and if i can live with the fact its a GM, not Ford.
But since i can't, I have to look for Cobra instead....

Meh i dont drool over a C5 Z06 as much as a nice looking modded Kewbra. The C5 is the flagship mid life crisis car. Besideds 4V>2V, OHC>OHV

I'd say buy the Z06 too. I like mustangs, and yeah you can put some crazy power into a Cobra, but a Z06 is just in a whole different class in my opinion. You will have a much more solid car that is better in many aspects other than power. Plus resale should stay pretty nice, assuming you keep it in great shape and don't put 100k miles on it.

But if you drive a good distance everyday, I'd think twice. Nothing wrong with it as a daily driver because it should be reliable.....but it will have a very high cost of ownership if you drive it 100+ miles everyday. Tires alone will break you.

Im gonna have to tell the Cobra nutswingers to please just wake up and realize that a Z06 is 38,808,098,690 times better than a freakin Terminator. Also, they're two completely different cars with 2 different purposes. I say if you can afford it, do it. And what the hell is wrong with using it as a Daily Driver? I wouldnt have a car like that sitting in a garage 5 days a week

The z06 is a sharp, classy car, but I'll stick to my cobra. The vette may hold it's resale value and everything else everyone is saying, but have you ever been stuck to the back of your seat with the blower on a terminator whining while pushing 16psi, slapped third gear and felt your cheeks touch your earlobes? Just one ride in a built (cheaply modded) terminator and you'll forget all about the little blonde stripper and her little red vette...

The z06 is a sharp, classy car, but I'll stick to my cobra. The vette may hold it's resale value and everything else everyone is saying, but have you ever been stuck to the back of your seat with the blower on a terminator whining while pushing 16psi, slapped third gear and felt your cheeks touch your earlobes? Just one ride in a built (cheaply modded) terminator and you'll forget all about the little blonde stripper and her little red vette...

seriously, besides i think you have to own mass amounts of Hawaian shirts and "racing" gloves with the knucle holes, plus agree to always have your arm dangling out the window to even apply for fianacing to own a Vette

Ever ridden in a H/C/I Z06 that runs 10's all day with no Forced Induction? Probably a similar effect but looks better, handles better, and has a bit more flavor :shrug:

Im gonna have to tell the Cobra nutswingers to please just wake up and realize that a Z06 is 38,808,098,690 times better than a freakin Terminator. Also, they're two completely different cars with 2 different purposes. I say if you can afford it, do it. And what the hell is wrong with using it as a Daily Driver? I wouldnt have a car like that sitting in a garage 5 days a week
I agree. I mean, some people like Cobras better and they aren't wrong, but a Z06 is an awesome car.

Both can go fast in a straight line, but a Z06 just everything else better(handling, stopping, history, looks, rareness, gas mileage, curb weight, top speed/aero, 1/4 etc). You can do full bolt-ons to a Cobra, but for the same or even less money you can cam a Z06. Both cars should run about the same in the 1/4 -- but the Z would still do everything else better. Regardless, even if a Cobra was 0.5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 -- would you rather have a Corvette in the driveway or a Mustang -- I like both cars, but if I didn't need a backseat it would be the Z06.

. And what the hell is wrong with using it as a Daily Driver? I wouldnt have a car like that sitting in a garage 5 days a week

Well hell yeah, but my point was that make sure you can afford it as a daily driver. Affording it as a weekend car or DD with a short commute is a different ball game than affording it driving it 100 miles a day. I'm all about daily drivers, I think you guys that put your stang up for the winter are wusses.

I agree. I mean, some people like Cobras better and they aren't wrong, but a Z06 is an awesome car.

Both can go fast in a straight line, but a Z06 just everything else better(handling, stopping, history, looks, rareness, gas mileage, curb weight, top speed/aero, 1/4 etc). You can do full bolt-ons to a Cobra, but for the same or even less money you can cam a Z06. Both cars should run about the same in the 1/4 -- but the Z would still do everything else better. Regardless, even if a Cobra was 0.5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 -- would you rather have a Corvette in the driveway or a Mustang -- I like both cars, but if I didn't need a backseat it would be the Z06.

:stupid: get the Vette if you can swing it.

Looks like I have to come in a dispell a few myths.

#1, the vette's insurance is more expensive than a modded Mustang. False. I know, I've done it. $10 less a month for the same coverage.

#2, vette's mods are more expensive. Only with clutch's and headers. But when you add long tube headers, people are seeing up to 25 rwhp in gains. Add a cold air intake (same price as Mustangs) and yer up to 40 rwhp. Yes you may pay a few dollars more, but it makes up for it with HP gains. FWIW, my catback (Borla Stingers) cost $699. You have to know where to shop.

#3, hard to get in and out of. False, I'm not a light person, and I don't have any trouble.

I lowered it for free (adjusted 4 bolts on the suspension), and most of the exterior mods are on par with the Mustang. The thing is, the Z is a lighter car, and is built for a road race course. You have to do VERY LITTLE to it to make it better. You get a better built interior, lighter car, and a six-speed tranny. When I drove my car back from AL, I averaged 28mpg doing 75mph. NO GT/Cobra Mustang will do that.

And I've driven 03 Cobras, and they are beasts. I would love to have one to add to my garage, but the vette is above it on so many levels.

And before people think I'm hating...I'm not. My heart still yearns for another stang. I miss Sundance very much. And I find myself ogling nice GT's rather than nice vettes. I'm not a chevy fan, I'm a vette fan.