2005 Mach 1

YellowMach69

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2002
buffalo new york
Im very sorry if this was mentioned already , I really tried the search in forum for this topic, But has anyone heard or know of any confirmation of one being built?I found a picture of a proto
mach1.jpg
[/IMG] type

• Sponsors (?)

YellowMach69 said:
Im very sorry if this was mentioned already , I really tried the search in forum for this topic, But has anyone heard or know of any confirmation of one being built?I found a picture of a proto
mach1.jpg
[/IMG] type

That's just a photoshop that someone did using the concept Mustang as the base. There are only rumors of a possible 2006 special edition. It might be a Mach, might be a Boss.... :shrug:

Photoshop

But I like the concept. I agree the bullits would be a bad choice. I have them on my car but if I were paying a premium for a special edition, I'd want special edition wheels to go with.

I like the louvers on the side windows. Really a throwback! :nice:

blackonblack05 said:
I'm not too familiar with old school. Which was the more potent pony back in the day, the mach or the boss? Whichever one was faster then thats the edition i would want on the SE's ;)

Go to BradBarnnets web site http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/, the best total info on all MUstangs. He has hp listings for all years and you can see the Hp for all the engines.

The old Mustangs and the new are too different to compare .The old Mustangs had several engine choices so its hard to compare and I'm sure we wont have engine choices, it will be a GT with set engine or a Mach or Boss with its set engine.

I'm not too familiar with old school. Which was the more potent pony back in the day, the mach or the boss?

Well, thats hard to say as there were at least two engine options for both cars for just about all years they were produced. In 69, the first year both the mach and the boss were offered, you could get either the Boss 302 or the Boss 429. The Boss 302 motor was basically a windsor block with the 351C-4V heads grafted on, with some changes made in the casting to get the water jackets and such to line up. This motor didn't make a whole lot of power down low, it all came from the top end, same as the later 351C-4V motor which shared the same high flow heads. This didn't make it particularly suited to the street, but thats not what Ford had in mind. This motor was developed for the Trans-Am racing series, and it did quite well there. The Boss 429 was a different animal, this was Fords foray into the world of hemi-head engines, with this motor being developed for NASCAR if I remember correctly, and very few of either of these cars were produced (maybe someone else has numbers, I don't have my red book in front of me). In the 69 mach you could get the 351 (both 2V and 4V) the 428 CJ and SCJ, and I believe the 390 also was still offered. The 428 CJ and SCJ were the big dogs, and were potent on the street. In 70 things stayed pretty much the same for the bosses. In the mach you could now get the 351's, both windsor and cleveland motors, and the 428's, but the 390 went away altogether. 71 was a big change, the mustang itself got longer, lower, wider, and heavier. The boss 302 was dropped, they introduced the boss 351, which was a cleveland, and the boss 429 was no longer a hemi head monster. In the mach the base engine was now the 302, and you could get the 351's and the 429 (CJ, CJ-R, and SCJ-R) as well. 71 was the last year for the bosses, leaving the mach as the only high performance choice for 72. The 429 went away, leaving a downrated 302 as the standard motor and the 351 CJ and 351 HO as the high performance choices, but they were no where near as potent as they had been just a year or two before. In 73 things got even worse, the standard mach 302 was again downrated, and there was only one 351, the CJ, and it was downrated as well. When the mustang II roled out there were cobra editions and a mach also in various years, but the only V8 offered was the 302, and it was so choked out by smog gear and cats that power output was pretty sad. My memory is a little fuzzy on some bits and pieces of this, if anyone catches an error my apologies. This is of course very condensed.

As to your question specifically, its a matter of opinion. Alot of people consider the hemi head boss 429 to be the baddest mustang ever built, I guess it was the Cobra R of it's day, only it couldn't handle worth a damn. Dream car garage on speed channel did an 8 car muscle car shootout a while back, and the boss 429 was the winner against some pretty heavy competition. The boss easily smoked (no pun intended) them all in the burnout contest.

Yes the Boss 429 motor was developed for NASCAR. NASCAR rules dictated that so many vehicles needed to be produced with the motor in order to qualify for racing; well this is where things got interesting. As most of you know the mustang never raced NASCAR, this duty was left to the taledegas and cyclones. Now the rules never said the motor had to be sold in the vehicle that you raced and since ford seemed to have bigger balls back then they stuffed that motor into the mustang. The Boss 429 was definitely faster then the Boss 302 in a straight line, but when the road gets twisty the 302 will out run a 429. The Boss 302 actually could only muster about a 7.0 second 0-60 time. It only had 290hp. The Boss 302 was only built to qualify for trans am racing. The interesting thing about the Trans Am series is that it spawned a special mustang, a special camaro we call a Z-28, a firebird called a Trans AM, an AAR Cuda, a T/A challenger, and I believe the cougar eliminator, not to mention some American motors Javelins, mark Donahue I think.

slegos888stang said:
ford said they wouldnt, however if this reliable info is true sorry but we will have a 5.4L n/a 370hp mach 1 :drool:

I am interested in that, When and who said they would never make another Mach 1, about a year and a half I had some dumb a$$ salesman trying to sell me a Mach for $1000 over sticker because it was so limmited. Ford had already said the car was nolonger limited right after it came out. A few
months ago I could buy them for invoice all day long. Every thing I have read and everyone I ave talked to says the car is slated to be back in 06. I canceled my 05 GT and desided to wait for the mach. If it looks as good as the car above, I will have one, no dout about that. I love that shaker :nice: :nice: :nice:

BLKGT03 said:
Ford had already said the car was nolonger limited right after it came out. A few
months ago I could buy them for invoice all day long.

I don't think that Ford ever said Mach 1 would no longer be limited. Ford just stopped saying it was limited. I fine-line distinction, I know.

Ford did announce that the Mach 1 would continue through the 2004 model year before the very first 2003 model rolled off the assembly line. So, by the time anyone accepted delivery on on their 2003 Mach 1, they should have known that it was no longer going to be limited. I can't blame Ford though. I think this change was due, at least in part, to the people directly contacting Bill Ford, back in the summer of 2002, and begging him to make more so that they could get one.

By the time production stopped, Ford had ended up building more than there were people wanting them. So, you are noted, prices dropped to invoice (or less with rebates).

I'm glad you posted the pic. They've GOT to come out with a car like this. I like everything I see on it so far. If I knew they were coming out with one, I'd save my money. I probably will, anyway, if I can...just ....hold...out...