2005 Mustang Conv't Pics!

Saw them yesterday at the Launch celebration, they were under cover.. atleast 4 of them are in the plant... and 4 of them were out and about. I've got 2 blurry pics of them on the road with the top down...

The vert is making it's offical appearance at the NAIAS in 05 and they should be released sometime in Feb or March.

• Sponsors (?)

Trolls

I own a 2001 vert since it was new. Bought it in april of 2001. The top does not leak maybe I have been lucky but it seems to be of better quality than say a camaro or firechicken. I like both of those cars as well but when me and my wife were looking for a new vert we decided on the mustang because of the top. It seems to stay tighter than the GM cars and dosen't looks like a bubble roof comming down the road at you.

As for all you trolls bashing on the new mustang. what are you getting from this. You think if you say enough stuff is wrong with the car you will have a better chance of telling someone I told you so. Go home and play with your soap.
Stay out of here if you don't have anything good to say. Most of us are here because we all love the same car.

uthatch said:
How do we know it's the same top as the last generation??? I really don't see how it could be, with it being a brand new car.

The only part of the convertible cage that is new, to the best of my knowledge, is the latch bar that attaches to the windshield, and the rail arms that connect that bar to the cage. The rest of the cage, the top shape and connections are the same. It's easy to get the sides of the vert top to fit the windows. It's easier and cheaper to adjust the shape of the windows to fit, than redesign, re-engineer and manufacture a new cage assembly.

Just because the Mustang is "All New" for 2005, that doesn't mean every component is. "All New" is misleading. There are plenty of parts on the new Mustang that are "borrowed" from other Ford products, some of which have been out for quite a while.

And, having said all that... I don't have that information from Ford direct. I didn't talk to them. I could, very well, be wrong about it being the SN95 top. The only reason I am 99.9% sure that it is, is because a client of mine manufacturs hydraulic systems for verts, among other things. They don't have a 2005 Mustang, but they have a 2005 cage and the top part of the windshield frame. They manufacture aftermarket stangs like Roush and Steeda, but on much smaller scale, no performance accessories, only cosmetics. They are working on a fully automatic retrofit kit for stangs. i.e., Hit a button and the top hydraulically releases from the windshield, a custom fabricated decklid opens, top goes down, decklid closes. They have them now for 99-04's, but needed the new cage assembly because of the fact that it connects differently to the windshield part. I WILL get pics of the cage on their floor. It's a bunch of metals rails, nothing exciting, but I will get it none-the-less.

Guys, the vert isn't out yet. Ford has plenty of time to fix the issues, assuming there are any to begin with. Pretty much all verts have top issues of some kind anyway. It's part of the fun.

Going on only the picture I have in front of me here, it doesnt look like an SN95 vert top to me. It looks like the new tbird top which to me would make more sense... Doesnt anyone else see that? Wouldnt that make more sense on the new chasis to use the main assembly from something else they already have??? Just postulating a little bit here...

The vert top doesn't fold in like the current ones. Part of it does stick out.

Sorry for the crappy blurry pics.. I was stuck in an Escape going the other direction.

black_vert.jpg

redvert.jpg

Just because it sticks out, doesn't mean the cage assembly is different. It could be that it's mounted to car differently, different lines to the car could show/hide more or less, there may be less room under the folded top due to the gas tank being there and so it sits higher... there could be a bunch or reasons.

PerformanceRed said:
The only thing which bothers me is that Ford is not doing anything to stop water leakage in their convertibles. It's stupid to use the same SN95 convertible top assemblies when Ford "knows" that they have water leakage problems.

Maybe I am just lucky, but my convertible doesn't leak at drop, even in the major hurricane drenches we have had these past few weeks.