2005 Mustang GT & synthetic Oil

TomServo92 said:
Why should I blindly trust your recommendation when I have my own experience to rely on?

FYI, I asked my Mazda service advisor if using Mobil 1 at the first oil change was a problem and he said "No problem". In case your wondering, my Mazda has a 3.0L Duratec engine in it. I'm sure if you call your service advisor or the customer hotline they'll tell you exactly what I've been saying: "Use an oil that meets the specification outlined in the owners manual".

And you're absolutely right, you can lead horse to water....

I'm assuming the last part wasn't directed at me since I've never said anything about changing the oil at 500. The owners manual says to let it break in for the first 1,000 miles which would be earliest I would do anything regarding the motor oil.

EDIT: I re-read my earlier posts and I did allude to using synthetic within the first 1,000 miles. I meant at 1,000 miles as I stated above.

Look the original poster ask about switching to Mobil One at 500 miles.

I advised against it (and still do) for reasons similar to those expressed by Ford in the owners manual. The Engine should be allowed TO WEAR during the first 1000 miles (or more) in order to ensure the rings are properly seated.

Mobil one is very proud of "how wear is stopped dead in its tracks" by using the product. I can attest to that after tearing down many mobil one engines, and like I stated I use it in everything I own. cars, bikes, lawn equipment, you name it, its great stuff.

My whole point to this is you do not want to artificially stop engine wear prematurely or you will run the risk of lower than should have been power and aditional oil comsumption for the life if the car. Wait to 3000K miles and switch (or for Petes sake at least 1000)

Is this so hard to understand?

• Sponsors (?)

romans8:28 said:
Look the original poster ask about switching to Mobil One at 500 miles.

I advised against it (and still do) for reasons similar to those expressed by Ford in the owners manual. The Engine should be allowed TO WEAR during the first 1000 miles (or more) in order to ensure the rings are properly seated.

Mobil one is very proud of "how wear is stopped dead in its tracks" by using the product. I can attest to that after tearing down many mobil one engines, and like I stated I use it in everything I own. cars, bikes, lawn equipment, you name it, its great stuff.

My whole point to this is you do not want to artificially stop engine wear prematurely or you will run the risk of lower than should have been power and aditional oil comsumption for the life if the car. Wait to 3000K miles and switch (or for Petes sake at least 1000)

Is this so hard to understand?

Did you read my post above? I'm agreeing with you! I stated I wouldn't do anything regarding the oil until the 1,000 mile break-in period is up. At any rate, the original poster stated somewhere along the way (it was lost in between all our posts) that he's going to wait until after the 1,000 mile point to switch to Mobil 1, which I think is a great idea.

TomServo92 said:
Did you read my post above? I'm agreeing with you! I stated I wouldn't do anything regarding the oil until the 1,000 mile break-in period is up. At any rate, the original poster stated somewhere along the way (it was lost in between all our posts) that he's going to wait until after the 1,000 mile point to switch to Mobil 1, which I think is a great idea.

Wow, we agree ;)

I apologize if I missed what you had said, perhaps we were not getting our points accross well (at least me)........ anyway no hard feelings, sometimes I hate the internet because people can't talk like they can in "real life". I bet our coversation in real life would have only took 30 seconds and we would have understood and agreed right away.

Wow, we agree ;)

I apologize if I missed what you had said, perhaps we were not getting our points accross well (at least me)........ anyway no hard feelings, sometimes I hate the internet because people can't talk like they can in "real life". I bet our coversation in real life would have only took 30 seconds and we would have understood and agreed right away.

Yep, I believe you are correct sir. We were talking at each other not to each other. My apologies as well. Believe it or not, it happens in "real life" as well! :D

I take partial blame since I made the statement about changing the oil at less than 1,000 when I meant to say at 1,000. I'm a firm believer in not touching anything during the break-in period. I just do what the manual says and then start your oil changes after the break-in is over.

TomServo92 said:
Yep, I believe you are correct sir. We were talking at each other not to each other. My apologies as well. Believe it or not, it happens in "real life" as well! :D

I take partial blame since I made the statement about changing the oil at less than 1,000 when I meant to say at 1,000. I'm a firm believer in not touching anything during the break-in period. I just do what the manual says and then start your oil changes after the break-in is over.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, you make an excellent point about talking at instead of to.......

I think (hope) I have made myself a new internet forum friend.

BTW, are you an 05 GT owner or rather a Mustang enthusiest? I have been following the 05 (might get one for my wife), I myself am running an 04 Cobra and love it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, you make an excellent point about talking at instead of to.......

I think (hope) I have made myself a new internet forum friend.

BTW, are you an 05 GT owner or rather a Mustang enthusiest? I have been following the 05 (might get one for my wife), I myself am running an 04 Cobra and love it.

Absolutely! It's always good to make a new friend!

I'm not an '05 owner (yet). As you can see in my sig below, I currently own a Mazda 6 (which BTW is a great little car) but I've owned Mustangs in the past. I really thought my '92 would be my last. The SN95s are nice but just didn't appeal to me like the old 5.0s did (with the exceptions being the Cobra and Mach 1). But as soon as I saw the '05, I got pulled back in to the Mustang ranks. I'll problably be ready to buy sometime mid-2005 or so.

Just because other makers may use it as factory fill means nothing to your FORD, and just because it meets the Ford spec for oil does not mean it does not have additives that ADVERSELY affect the ring seating procedure.

Why don't you call your Ford service advisor or customer hotline since you refuse to trust my recommendation, and see what they say about "synthetics" during the break in period.

you can lead a horse to water............

BTW,
Exactly why are you determined to use the Mobil One at 500 miles, what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? I use it to preclude engine wear, of course my rings are properly seated because my engine is fully broken in (which Ford does not do during manufacture, unlike your synthetic fill auto makers)

I am not going to consult my service manager, etc. Synthetic oil might not have been smart to start off with 20 years ago, but today engines are built to much higher tolerances. Modern cars "break-in" a lot quicker than people believe. I will go by what AMG, BMW, and team Corvette have to say. If synthetic wasn't good for engines from the start, don't you think those vehicles would come with Dino oil? I am sure they wouldn't want to sacrifice engine life and performance. I have seen engines built and then redlined on a dyno; Ford wouldn't recommend this also.

TAP4636 said:
I do know how to change my own oil, but does anyone know any companies that change the oil with Mobil 1? Jiffy Lube uses either Penzoil or Quake State. Not sure about Oil Express.

If you don't want to do it yourself, your best bet is to buy your own oil at Walmart and then take it with you to the cheapest oil change place around and tell them to use the oil you provided. They may even give you a discount that will reflect what they pay for the oil they typically use (maybe $0.20/quart). :nice:

Sam98 said:
If you don't want to do it yourself, your best bet is to buy your own oil at Walmart and then take it with you to the cheapest oil change place around and tell them to use the oil you provided. They may even give you a discount that will reflect what they pay for the oil they typically use (maybe $0.20/quart). :nice:

Alot of the lube places will do that. I saw someone bring in their own oil to a Texaco lube shop. They still make money off the labor.

I use it to preclude engine wear, of course my rings are properly seated because my engine is fully broken in (which Ford does not do during manufacture, unlike your synthetic fill auto makers)

So GM, and all the others, run the engines for the equivalent of 500 miles on dino oil to pre-break them in? Give me a break. Mobil 1 is just fine for a new engine, statements to the contrary are simply old wives tales or remnants of 1970s thinking.

I put Mobil 1 in my 2002 Z28 at 500 miles, and today at 15,000 miles it burns nary a drop of oil between changes. Hell, the engine might have come from the factory with Mobil 1 (it's an LS1), just like the LS1 in the Vette.

I also changed to M1 in my Colorado at 1,000 miles, it's not burning a drop either at 10,000 miles.

jfischer said:
statements to the contrary are simply old wives tales or remnants of 1970s thinking.
This is more of a ture statement than most people are aware of. I will only say this, do your own research on oil. You will not believe some of the information that is available. Personally, I'm getting ready for my 3rd oil change. I will be around 6500 miles. I'm going with Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 This stuff has a 35,000 (or 1 year) drain intervals. Now I know most won't do this, but again, do your OWN research. I will be doing 10,000 drain intervals, because the Amsoil oil filter is only good for 12,500. So, for me, it's cheap insurance to change everything at 10,000. I might even go with thier Oil By-Pass system.
dualremote_dia_600px.gif
"Extends Oil Drain Intervals
Because the AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter removes water and particles smaller than one micron, it significantly increases the time oil can safely be left in the engine. In fact , engines using AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil and an AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filter routinely show much lower rates of engine wear - even when the oil is used for significantly longer drain intervals - than engines using conventional products and conventional oil drain intervals. That saves motorists time and money and helps protect the environment by creating substantially less used oil."

Then my drain intervals will more like 25,000. :flag:
BTW, if you think these drain intervals are insane, read what Professional Truckers do about there oil / drain intervals. Here's something to read:
http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx