2005 Mustang Test Mule Pictures

JRE

Sep 6, 2003
While traveling in South Seattle today I saw a red Dodge Durango with WA plates towing a 2005 Mustang on I-5 northbound. The trailer towing the car had SCCA decals on it. It had manufacturers plates from Michigan and had a camouflage paint scheme. It had a single muffler, I assume it was a v-6 model. I have pictures from my camera phone.

Attachments

• 2005 mustang 1.jpg
    2005 mustang 1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • 2005 mustang 2.jpg
    2005 mustang 2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Sponsors (?)

manicmustangman said:
That's sad. A Mustang should be allowed to run, not towed! And if it has to be towed then it should be an F series truck doing the towing, not a Dodge!
agreed, the other day we towed a f150 lightning with another f150 lightning. looked pretty sweet and we got lots of thumbs up.

I wonder if that mule was sold as a race car chassis with no VIN #. Ford use to sell a small portion of their test fleet to racers. I assume they still do. My SCCA AS car was a test mule. The SCCA stickers & a Dodge product towing the Stang make me suspect this.

Not all of the test mules and preproduction cars are crushed. Most are sold off at auction as x cars, i.e. VINless vehicles. And, to the surprise of most, some go for more than MSRP, usually the ones that were in the shows and have extra bells and whistlles that are not found in the production versions. Like the engine cover, and custom racing seats for example. The only ones that get crushed are ones that have had safety tests done on them, structural changes, or been through the bench tests that exceed limits. Anything that compromises integrity. The ones that are structurally sound, but aesthetically damaged or worn are sold off or used for PR, future model development, etc. I'd bet this one being towed is most certainly privately owned at this point, off to a more glorious career as a racer.