2006 350Z vs. 2006 Mustang GT

98GTfromGA

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Memphis
I hear they are rating the 350Z at 300hp now. I think the two weigh
relatively the same. Who would win? I have a feeling the Mustang
would win out of the hole due to torque, but the 350Z has a 6 spd
and probably better gearing and a 7k redline.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you would pull the standard 350Z unless he's got boost. I raced a 2003 350Z and won easily with my 2K Stang (Supercharged, mild boost) Then last week I ran an 05 GT that was chipped and catback/xpipe. I pulled on him a bit but almost too close to call. So from my experience I think the Stang should win.

Mstng2 said:
I think you would pull the standard 350Z unless he's got boost. I raced a 2003 350Z and won easily with my 2K Stang (Supercharged, mild boost) Then last week I ran an 05 GT that was chipped and catback/xpipe. I pulled on him a bit but almost too close to call. So from my experience I think the Stang should win.

So you're saying that even a 2000 GT with boost is barely a match for a mildly modded 05 GT? crapola Gimme a break, even my 2000 GT N/A pulls consistent low 13's which is modded 05 GT territory. You should be deep in the 12's running on even low boost.

As far as the 06 350Z I really can't vouch for, but I've driven/raced both the G35 coupe and the 350Z of previous years and put bus lengths on them. Stock they're good for a low 14 sec pass with a good driver.

With the 17 HP increase for 06 in the 350Z, I think it will be closer than what it was in the past. That said, I still think the mustang will beat the 350Z in a straight line.

The extra hp comes at a reduction in torque by 14. This 300hp version is only 0.1-0.2 faster in the 1/4 because of it, according to a couple tests. The redline is moved up a couple hundred rpm's where the peak 300hp hits.

They are great cars and they handle extremly well, but they are no match for a 3V stang 0-60, or in the 1/4.

Torque guys.. torque.

The 350Z has the same 300hp but at what RPM and will the 6-speed actually exploit that 7K redline?

Plus, dont forget IRS...

The 350Z was never intended to run a 1/4 mile at a time.

GT wins... No Problem... even the guys over at my350Z.com will admit to that... stock to stock. Though our cars would get their asses kicked on a Road Course.

They did a comparision between those two cars in a magazine (I forget which sorry) The Mustang was the defined winner in straight line acceleration, but the 350Z was more nimble and was able to beat the mustang's lap time on the course. Meaning- lower the mustang and put better stabilizers on.

It is a custom turbo set up. He is making 330hp at the ground. we only pulled from 40 to about 70MPH. I only pulled him by about a half a car. We decided it because of the lag. If we keep pulling he would have got me.

98GTfromGA said:
I hear they are rating the 350Z at 300hp now. I think the two weigh
relatively the same. Who would win? I have a feeling the Mustang
would win out of the hole due to torque, but the 350Z has a 6 spd
and probably better gearing and a 7k redline.

A friend of mine who I recently used to work with witnessed an 05 or 06 Mustang GT hand a 350Z it's lunch on I-285 (atlanta) last thursday. The 350Z got the jump on him but the mustang quickly overtook him and kept pulling away like a runaway freight train. The Z had been lowered and looked like it had bigger than stock rims. The now embarrassed Z faked an exit, but was seen a few minutes later on 285. More than likely this was not one of the 300 hp Z's, but even with the 13 or so extra hp that I think the track version of the Z's are now getting, I'd put my money on the mustang, (stock vs. stock).