2006 Mustang Harmonic Balancer Removal

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by brj1985, Jul 11, 2012.

1. brj1985

brj1985 New Member

I'm having trouble stopping my engine from turning on as i try to take off the harmonic balancer. I was told you can stop it in automatics by holding the bolt on the torque converter. Does any one know where this is?

2. thd245

thd245 Member

Disconnect the battery before doing any engine work, other than simple things, such as changing oil etc.

3. Gearbanger 101

Gearbanger 101 Straight Outta Locash
    Super Mod

Can you get an impact socket on there with an extension? The "Braaap" of an impact gun is usually the best method. Not sure what kind of room you S197 guys have to work with though?

4. lenko

lenko Member

Driver's side at front of transmission is where the rubber boot can be pulled off to get at the torque converter bolts, or you might be able to get at them by removing the bottom inspection plate (two bolts) from under the front of the transmission. You'll need help for someone to hold the transmission from spinning and the other to loosen the crank bolt. Don't forget to use a new crank bolt as apparently they stretch when torqued to specs.

5. SpartaPerformance

Site Sponsor

NEVER use an impact gun to loosen or tighten crank bolt on a 4.6/5.4/4v 5.0. You run the risk of damaging the oil pump