2018 Mustang Refreshed

• Sponsors (?)

Im surprised they didn't do more with it. For a 'refresh' it really doesn't look that much different. I'm definitely curious to read about the horsepower difference and how this new 10 speed auto holds up.

I like my '15 better.

Im surprised they didn't do more with it. For a 'refresh' it really doesn't look that much different. I'm definitely curious to read about the horsepower difference and how this new 10 speed auto holds up.

Agreed...when I saw the picture of the '18 by itself, I first wondered what was different. Then I noticed the headlights and saw the taillights...I'm still trying to figure out the front bumper difference though. EDIT: I see it now. The new bumper does look more aggressive...I like it.

We'll probably see something more significant in 2020 or so.

10 speed seems excessive to me, but what do I know. Interesting that they're making the turbo 4 as the base option...I wonder how much this will increase the base price now. On that note...how long is it going to be before the base price of a Mustang is $30K. :(

Last edited:
I'm disappointed with dropping of the 3.7 v-6 for 2018 and addition of 12" screen, both of which adds cost and complexity to the more base level models. We have an Ecoboost f150 for purpose of towing, so I'm not against them in principle. Just as I'm going to need to purchase a daily, I'm looking for reliability over the car's lifetime in a sporty (rwd) pony car package and it needs to be affordable to buy and maintain. If Ford holds the line on price and ups powertrain warranty to 100k and instrument panel screen, I might be back on board, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be voting with my wallet to abstain from buying an 2018 model as it stands.

I'm disappointed with dropping of the 3.7 v-6 for 2018 and addition of 12" screen, both of which adds cost and complexity to the more base level models. We have an Ecoboost f150 for purpose of towing, so I'm not against them in principle. Just as I'm going to need to purchase a daily, I'm looking for reliability over the car's lifetime in a sporty (rwd) pony car package and it needs to be affordable to buy and maintain. If Ford holds the line on price and ups powertrain warranty to 100k and instrument panel screen, I might be back on board, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be voting with my wallet to abstain from buying an 2018 model as it stands.

Buy a base model GT. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
After spending some time on the Fusion Sport forum yesterday, I think I'll hold off on that car. Members are not completely enthused over the car. I think I'll look into the supercharging of my car. If anyone has any experience with adding a modern blower to the 3.7, chime in.

I'm definitely curious to read about the horsepower difference and how this new 10 speed auto holds up.

If you go back about 10 years, Ford and GM did a collaboration and developed a new six speed auto. Ford called theirs the 6R80 and GM called theirs the 6L80. It was a good thing because GM has a reputation of building strong reliable automatics, always have. And the Ford version of this joint effort ended up being arguably the best auto trans ford ever put out. I see no reason why the new 10 speed will be any different as it was also a joint effort between Ford and GM

I just found this...

The new 10-speed transmission offers several new technologies and features. The transmission offers:

• a wider top-to-bottom gear span with closer gear spacing
  • an integrated start/stop program and standard electric pump
  • the first Ford transmission not to use any cast iron for weight savings
  • a smarter shift logic that allows for wider control of power over a wider set of situations
  • a computer controller that uses more than double the previous amount of coding
  • a new 10-speed that has six clutch packs and four planetary gear sets
  • a 1st gear ratio of 4.69:1; 2nd: 2.98:1; 3rd: 2.14:1; 4th: 1.76:1; 5th: 1.52:1; 6th: 1.27:1; 7th: 1.00:1; 8th: 0.85:1; 9th: 0:68:1; and 10th: 0.63:1
The new transmission is essentially the same length as the previous six-speed it replaces.

Last edited: