234hp AFTER swap, WTF!!

stimmler said:
mine was only like 250 hp before getting SCT tuned. My tune is not aggressive either, my tuner said he could get another 10-20 hp out of it if he advanced the timing further. So I would look for a shop that has SCT tuning capabilities. Cams also help a lot but I know you probably dont want to tear into your engine again.

Yes, the car does feel stronger. Before the swap I was at 200hp but had the PI intake. So I guess I got 34 ponies out of heads, cams, Plenum/TB and some shorties. Sorry, but that just seems low. I'm not running lean either, 12.47.

Bottom line is I know I need a tune, I just hope I can see a decent gain from it. I'll post numbers after the tune as well.

Thank all of you for helping to keep me optomistic.

• Sponsors (?)

underdog225 said:
2003 gt with catback, intake, 4.10s, and a few other bolt ons put down 228 rwhp. if you are willing to dig into the motor again, get the heads port and polished and get the thing tuned to make everything run properly together.

I have a line on another set of heads, so I'm seriously thinking about getting them P&P and build them up with a more aggressive cam. Now that I have done the swap once, I don't think the second go around will be quite as trying. I buddy of mine has a set of VT stage II's awaiting install and a set of stage II cams, so if he has some serious gains, I'll be jumping on that banwagon for sure!

Blev, your #'s aren't very low considering that you have an automatic tranny. The shortie headers don't give much to a N/A car and you may have picked up a little from the TB and plenum.

Try this: Give Tim a call (see my sig) tell him your numbers and if possible provide him with a dyno run file or sheet. Tell Tim that you want to be 13.0:1 a/f across the board and you'd like your timing to be 15 degrees. Then Fed Ex your EEC over to him and he'll express ship it back.

mrvax said:
Blev, your #'s aren't very low considering that you have an automatic tranny. The shortie headers don't give much to a N/A car and you may have picked up a little from the TB and plenum.

Try this: Give Tim a call (see my sig) tell him your numbers and if possible provide him with a dyno run file or sheet. Tell Tim that you want to be 13.0:1 a/f across the board and you'd like your timing to be 15 degrees. Then Fed Ex your EEC over to him and he'll express ship it back.

Uh Oh. I've been wanting to get a tune, but the timing scares me off. I thought with our bump in compression we couln't run much more than 12-13 degrees. With 15, do you get any detonation at all? I don't wanna pay for a tune to get 5 or 6 HP.

MRVAX, did you get your car dyno'd after just the tune? I e-mailed MPH with all my info. We'll see what they come up with. It seems like they have very good customer service. I have seen other posts about them.

Have you considered there may be an issue with the dyno? You said yourself he couldn't get it to read correctly. is the number corrected?. Did he lock it up when it started sampling or did it go into O/D? Just some things to consider.

After my swap, went to a shop that mostly works on supras to get dynoed. First run was 227hp. Needless to say I was pissed. I asked to stand by car on second to see what was wrong. I noticed he started sampling in 3rd gear. i made him shut it down, do it in 4th and it jumped to 258hp 284tq.

Blev said:
OK....

So I finally got on a Dyno after my headswap (with no tune) and all I can say is :bs: First run was 227.46 and second was 234.06. No TQ numbers because he couldn't get it to read :shrug: my A/F was 12.47 and pretty damn smooth considering I have not been tuned at all with all of my mods.

Bottom line is what the hell went wrong!! Why are my numbers so low? This was done last minute over at a shop that soley works on Vett's. The guy is really cool and is considering getting the software to tune mustang's. I'm at a loss and seriously considering getting G35 or truck. :damnit:
I don't see anything wrong with your numbers. A stock 99+ automatic will dyno at around 210 to 215. So, you are 20 to 25 rwhp better than that. I don't see much in your mods, that would make you expect better than that. I would switch to an O/R X-pipe and definitely get a dyno tune.

jimfitzgerald said:
I don't see anything wrong with your numbers. A stock 99+ automatic will dyno at around 210 to 215. So, you are 20 to 25 rwhp better than that. I don't see much in your mods, that would make you expect better than that. I would switch to an O/R X-pipe and definitely get a dyno tune.
So aside from a P&P, cams or a power adder, what else can I do to see some decent gains? I plan on doing cams in the near future (VT stage II), should I wait for the tune til they are in?

Blev said:
So aside from a P&P, cams or a power adder, what else can I do to see some decent gains? I plan on doing cams in the near future (VT stage II), should I wait for the tune til they are in?
Go over to Modular DePot and look around at what some of those guys have done. Most of them are having great results N/A. kenB has even run 10's with his, but it is pretty much a "race only" car. Best I ever did N/A, was 243 rwhp, I believe.

Blev said:

Pullies are cheap. Theyll give you a little bump and save you gas too.

You may also want to consider a shift kit, another cheap improvement to the auto.

A ~3000rpm stall would really help but they arent cheap.