270 rwhp na....questions

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
Well as you can see from my sig I have my heads and intake, getting ready to buy my catted x, and after that, cams. I plan on having modular depot install it all and tune it for me this spring. I'm thinking I'll have close to 270 rwhp with all that and a good tune. Obviously my next mod after that will need to be tires, because mine are horrible. Can my car support that kind of power? I'm mostly worried about the rear end. I've heard that the stock rear end can handle up to about 350 bhp. I plan on probably doing 3.73 gears, because I do most of my commuting on the highway. Should I build up the rear end? If so, can my stock rear end support that added power long enough for me to save up for a built rear end?

• Sponsors (?)

with a good tune i don't see you why your car can't support that much power. depending on how many miles you have on the car it's always a good idea to rebuild the rear or even upgrade to something like an auburn.

Skidzz said:
Well as you can see from my sig I have my heads and intake, getting ready to buy my catted x, and after that, cams. I plan on having modular depot install it all and tune it for me this spring. I'm thinking I'll have close to 270 rwhp with all that and a good tune. Obviously my next mod after that will need to be tires, because mine are horrible. Can my car support that kind of power? I'm mostly worried about the rear end. I've heard that the stock rear end can handle up to about 350 bhp. I plan on probably doing 3.73 gears, because I do most of my commuting on the highway. Should I build up the rear end? If so, can my stock rear end support that added power long enough for me to save up for a built rear end?

it'll make & support that power easily. & if the car never sees the strip & no sticky tires your rear end will last for a looong time. never a bad idea for a built rear though. oh & do yourself a favor & get the 4.10's, you'll regret it if you don't. since you are worried about milage here's a lil something for ya........ i got 28.7mpg on my last road trip back to WV, when i was still n/a with my 4.10's :nice:

Thanks guys. I plan on putting some good tires on the car, but not slicks, just a good set of street tires. I will go to the track a few times, but this will mainly be a street car. And thanks again stangman, you've re-convinced me to go with 4.10s.

As everybody's said you will have no problems. I am running the stock carrier and axels and I'm pushing 290rwhp before the KB is on and have never had a problem. Mine sees the track every track weekend and is daily driven. Probably done about 100 passes this year.

With cams, 4.10s will be a GREAT gear. But remember, you have a T-45 so your going to be turning some serious RPMs in 5th. Like 3K @ 70ish I believe (dont quote me). I LOVE my 373s and mine has roughly 280RWHP (274 before electric WP) and they are great. Sometimes they come in handy, being able to run out 6400RPMs in 4th which is about 127 definatly feels good :D. I would get bored if I could only go to 110-115 W/ 4.10s, it would come up too fast lol.
I would have lost or not had a clear win if I would have had 4.10s on more than one occasion. When your cruizing @ 65MPH and a SS camaro pulls up and wants to go, 4.10s will run out awfully fast. But its all about what you want, and if you dont street race from a roll then 4.10s.

hotmustang331 said:
With cams, 4.10s will be a GREAT gear. But remember, you have a T-45 so your going to be turning some serious RPMs in 5th. Like 3K @ 70ish I believe (dont quote me). I LOVE my 373s and mine has roughly 280RWHP (274 before electric WP) and they are great. Sometimes they come in handy, being able to run out 6400RPMs in 4th which is about 127 definatly feels good :D. I would get bored if I could only go to 110-115 W/ 4.10s, it would come up too fast lol.
I would have lost or not had a clear win if I would have had 4.10s on more than one occasion. When your cruizing @ 65MPH and a SS camaro pulls up and wants to go, 4.10s will run out awfully fast. But its all about what you want, and if you dont street race from a roll then 4.10s.

Well I would like my car to be good from a roll too. Like I said, it will mainly be a street car. I try not to street race often. I already got pulled over for it once and was lucky enough with my connections to get off with just 25 hours community service....but once in a while it happens haha, just can't resist. So I dunno, this 3.73 vs. 4.10 battle will probably go on in my head until I just buy a set. I'll probably go 4.10s first, and if I don't like it I can always go down to 3.73s, even though I'll be at a loss......or maybe I'll consider 3.90s....I don't know :nonono: