275/50 or 275/60 DR's

I've got a '88 coupe with 5.5" bs draglites and am getting ready to order some drag radials, but can't decide on the 275/50 or 275/60 M/T drag radials! I've been running 28" slicks so the fender well is already been hit with the BFH and the lip is rolled. Any pics or thoughts with either tire would be helpful!

• Sponsors (?)

I've got 275/60's and thats what i'd reccoment for you. First off you cant beat the stance of a 28" tire in the rear... in my opinon a notchback was built to have a 28'' tire. And i dont know if your using a auto or stick but i see you have 4.10's, and with a 275/50 first gear is gonna be non exsistant(More so with a 5-speed). If you already have a rolled lip and the fenders are bashed in then thats half the battle, i think thats what scares people away from the 275/60's

http://forums.stangnet.com/723554-its-good-night-whore-myself-out.html

The 275/50 s are 26'' tall and the 275/60 s are 28'' tall .I see your combo is very similar to mine ,let me ask you ,with the 4-10s and 28'' tire what rpm are you going thru the traps at in 4th gear?i am thinking of going with a 28'' tire.Thanks
Don't know yet I havnt beent to the track, but I do know cruising down the highway it feels more like 3.73's with the 28"!
I've got 275/60's and thats what i'd reccoment for you. First off you cant beat the stance of a 28" tire in the rear... in my opinon a notchback was built to have a 28'' tire. And i dont know if your using a auto or stick but i see you have 4.10's, and with a 275/50 first gear is gonna be non exsistant(More so with a 5-speed). If you already have a rolled lip and the fenders are bashed in then thats half the battle, i think thats what scares people away from the 275/60's
http://forums.stangnet.com/723554-its-good-night-whore-myself-out.html
I'm running a 5 speed, I guess I'm more concerned with the looks of the DR's because thats what I'm going to be running on the street, I'll keep the 28" slicks for tracktime but on the same token I dont want to lose first gear on the street either. Nice rides btw! I have 4 cly springs in the front and I dont want to much of a rake, thats my concern with the 275/60 tires, the ideal thing would have the 275/60 tucked up in the back, but by the lowering the car to achieve this would probalbly cause some rubbage!

I'm running a 5 speed, I guess I'm more concerned with the looks of the DR's because thats what I'm going to be running on the street, I'll keep the 28" slicks for tracktime but on the same token I dont want to lose first gear on the street either. Nice rides btw! I have 4 cly springs in the front and I dont want to much of a rake, thats my concern with the 275/60 tires, the ideal thing would have the 275/60 tucked up in the back, but by the lowering the car to achieve this would probalbly cause some rubbage!

i have a TKO in my car and First gear is jsut right for me with a 3.73 gear, i used to have a 26'' radial on the car way back in the day and first gear was a waste of time, thats why i went with the 28'' tire, there is a girl that has a notch that is identical to myne... same wheels and almost the same color, and i was parked next to her a a cruise night, and the only difference was she had the 50's and i had the 60's, and the stance difference was night and day, the big tire makes it look 10x meaner

go with the 60's you wont regret it, i have the same size draglies on my car so you can expect it to look pretty close to what ive got, also i have coilovers on the front now, so the car is a little more raked out then in the thread i showed you.

Not drag radials but..........275/60/15's on 5.5 BS. had to replace my eibach 1.5" springs for a set of Moroso drag springs because it would rub on turns......probably just my car?

HPIM1354.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM1354.jpg
    HPIM1354.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 489
90lxcoupe right now I have the pro-kit on the back, do you think the 275/60 would rub? The 28" slicks do rub right now but I think the DR is a little skinner!

every car is different in my expierience, so i dont really have a soild answer for that, it also depends on where they are rubbing, like on the inner fender, the lip or the actual wheelwell "tub". I do have eibach drag launch springs and MM lower control arms. Best way to go is to just buy and then fix it if you have to, not really a huge deal.

but if the slicks fit then there is no reason the drag radial wont work. using that tire isnt really breaking any new grounds, its kind of a tried and true thing

every car is different in my expierience, so i dont really have a soild answer for that, it also depends on where they are rubbing, like on the inner fender, the lip or the actual wheelwell "tub". I do have eibach drag launch springs and MM lower control arms. Best way to go is to just buy and then fix it if you have to, not really a huge deal.

but if the slicks fit then there is no reason the drag radial wont work. using that tire isnt really breaking any new grounds, its kind of a tried and true thing

Good point, thanks for the info! BTW I checked ur sig out thats a bad ass notch!

Fore everyone else WHERES ALL THE PIC WHORES AT????? :popcorn:

I've got a '88 coupe with 5.5" bs draglites and am getting ready to order some drag radials, but can't decide on the 275/50 or 275/60 M/T drag radials! I've been running 28" slicks so the fender well is already been hit with the BFH and the lip is rolled. Any pics or thoughts with either tire would be helpful!

This is what I just bought, I think it is lowered. It has 275/50's I think it looks about right. I would like to try a set of 60's to see how it would look. It has 4.10 and the motor is all rpm so I dont know how it would handle the bigger tires in the 1/4 mile.
Honestly I dont know if the wheel wells could handle a bigger tire after just looking at it in the garage.

View attachment 278880
View attachment 278882
View attachment 278884
View attachment 278886

This is what I just bought, I think it is lowered. It has 275/50's I think it looks about right. I would like to try a set of 60's to see how it would look. It has 4.10 and the motor is all rpm so I dont know how it would handle the bigger tires in the 1/4 mile.
Honestly I dont know if the wheel wells could handle a bigger tire after just looking at it in the garage.

View attachment 278870
View attachment 278872
View attachment 278874
View attachment 278876

Looks good, is it a stick or auto? Curious as to what first gear is like?

Got my tires mounted, 275/60 8" rim 5.5"bs, I have plenty of room inside and the lip clears them fine! Car is lowered about 1 1/2".

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0607.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0605.jpg
    DSCF0605.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 714
  • DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,375
  • DSCF0604.jpg
    DSCF0604.jpg