275s on an 8" Wheel

jefferz

Oct 21, 2004
Spokane, WA
Hey I just blew a tire the other day on my 95 I think because the tires were too old (I bought them from a guy that had a 96 gt and the tires had sat for since like new...dumb yeah I know.) Anyways I like the style of the wheels and don't wanna change (I might get a set of 98 Wheels though with the different finish) and I was looking on tire rack and looked at some Sumitomo HTRZ II 255/45ZR17s and 275/40ZR17s. The price is great and I wouldn't mind buyin a set. But I am kinda afraid that maybe the 275s would be too wide for the stock rim?

I have Saleen Racecraft springs also and I am wondering will 255s rub? It sits really low right now. I have 245s all the way around right now.

• Sponsors (?)

i have 275s in the rear of my car on 9" wheels. IMO they have just the right look . they are gonna look a little dumpy on a 8" wheel but thats not neccessarily a bad thing. some people like the look of a fatter tire where the edges buldge.

I have 275's in back on my tri-bars. They are definitely a bit wide for the rim, but I like the way it looks. I know that unless you get a drag radial (or a tire with a soft sidewall) some places will have a hell of a time mounting them... The local TiresPlus couldnt get one of my old style tires mounted because of the rim protector lip, but my MT drag radials fell right on with the softer sidewall.

Well I bought the tires. I ended up getting Riken Raptors instead but they are made by BF Goodrich so I am not gonna complain.

The tires look pretty good on it. I am happy.

Much better than the 15" hubcaps I have been rolling on since my tire blew!