289 Mods Recomendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yobi1Kanobi

Apr 9, 2003
What do tou guys here consider the best bang for your buck on these 289s
I have experience with 5.0l but not with these 289s. I know they are about the same but what have you guys done to pep them up a bit without doing the bottom. If you recommend heads what cc do you run. Intakes and carbs too

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

my combination will be, when i get time and money to do the build;

windsor jr heads
comp cams retrofit roller cam with .480lift/260 duration single pattern cam
replacement cast pistons
balanced rotating assembly
tri-y headers
1.6 roller rockers

as for my induction system i have yet to finalize that. i am pondering a few choices including a single four barrel intake with some form of throttle body fuel injection, a three deuce intake again with throttle body fuel injection(this one most likely controlled by a megasquirt controller), a 600 cfm edelbrock carb, or some kind of port fuel injection. the four barrel intake if i use one will be either a performer rpm or weiand stealth.

you dont need to spend a lot of money to get a reasonable increase in horses
in a small block ford ,if you are not planning on touching the bottom end i
wouldnt go to wild without forged pistons. a port match and polish on the heads a performer intake ,650 holly ,true roller chain and gears ,280 h comp cam ,mallory
dist. unalite and a good set of headers, or you can spend a bundle and build a race
motor that you will only drive ocasionaly.keep it simple enjoy it make it streetable
i would recamend forged pistons no mater what on any rebuild cast pistons would
be the week link,believe me i scatered one .the rod looked perfect sticking up in the
cylender with no piston on it.the piston was scatered all through the block like broken
glass. a set of gears in the rear will give a good boost as well

Status
Not open for further replies.