289 rebuild

65shelby

Aug 26, 2003
I am getting ready to rebuild the 289 in my 65 fastback. I'd like to get approx. 385-400 horsepower from it once rebuilt. Can anyone recommend a set of internal components that have been proven to develop this much horsepower. I'd like to avoid a stroker kit unless it is absolutely necessary. I'd also like the car to be streetable. If there are some companies that you are aware of that would be able to help me I'd appreciate that information as well.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First thing you'll need to accomplish this feat, is a good set of headsthat breathe better than the stockers. Then a cam with around a .525-550 lift and a 280-290 degree duration cam. Then a 650 cfm carb and a good high rise aluminum intake ( Ford A321,C90X, shelby high rise, Edelbrock F4B, Performer rpm ) Then headers you pick em, they're all good. Pistons type will depend on the cc displacement of the combustion chambers on the heads you choose. You want a comp ratio of around 10-11 to 1 with a 289.

D.Hearne said:
First thing you'll need to accomplish this feat, is a good set of headsthat breathe better than the stockers. Then a cam with around a .525-550 lift and a 280-290 degree duration cam. Then a 650 cfm carb and a good high rise aluminum intake ( Ford A321,C90X, shelby high rise, Edelbrock F4B, Performer rpm ) Then headers you pick em, they're all good. Pistons type will depend on the cc displacement of the combustion chambers on the heads you choose. You want a comp ratio of around 10-11 to 1 with a 289.

you need a bigger carb then that, 289s like to rev, a lot. usaly makin their power around 6k so i would go 750cfm DP on a nice high rise like D said. for heads i'm going to use some 351W 4V ported - cheap and very effective. as for headers i'm using 1 1/2 because with 289s they need a fair amount of velocity sucking the exhaust out.

D.Hearne said:
That 750DP will be too much for a 289. I tried a 750 on the 302 roller motor with ported E7's and it didn't like the 750 as much as the 650DP.

really depends how you build it i guess. low end i would also go with a 650. but i also liked the higher reving engines so thats the reasoning behind the 750DP - does make the low end a little sluggish though..

I second the 650dp for any 289, high or low rpm. Try not to go to big on the heads, tfs high ports,victor Jr's, afr 185 are a bit to big while ported stock heads can hold back the power band. afr 165,bodix 5.0,roush 180's would be a good choice for a 289 out the box. go for sure with a soild flat cam or a solid roller. 289's like to start small and go to big for the exhaust. 1 1/2 headers or step header 1 1/2 in to 1 5/8 mid way and dump into 3 inch pipes. them 289's like to rev and hold together very well.