2JZ Turbo Setup on 4.6?

StanginSean

Aug 19, 2008
I have searched and searched all over the web for anything like this been done but haven't come up with a single thing. My buddies got a 98TT supra that he is swapping his twins for a single T-61 i believe and was throwing around the idea of rigging a system with his old twins for my 4.6. What is your guys' opinion on this matter? I'm decently mechanically inclinded, and he went to school and got degrees and believes it could possibly be done. What do you guys think? How much work/parts would need to be swapped out if its even possible and do you guys feel it'd be worth it in the long run? I'll have virtually all the piping on the stock setup including the stock intercooler.He's offering me the setup for virtually nothing if we can get it running, so I see no harm in doing research and possibly seeing if it can be done. Opinions guys?

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo is the most challenging and expensive of all do you have a minimum of $10,000 to buy into the game?

I think turbocharging a mustang is crazy talk period. You have to be totally commited to upgrading/replacing most of the systems in the car; suspension, computer, even interior. I think the whole idea you outline in your post is ****ing stupid. But I do not know your age, income, where you are at in life. If you have a stable job plenty of income a good daily driver I guess you could pull it off.

It might not be worth it. Those turbos were designed for that car and with all of the mods you're going to have to pay for you might as well just search for someone who's selling the blower off of their 03/04 Cobra. But I could be wrong

A home-made turbo setup is very difficult and not fun on a 4.6. I wouldn't even attempt it. If you are dead set on a turbo, then find a reputable manufacture of a premade kit you can install, but still expect to install a tubular suspension to make it fit.

The 302 was much more suited to home-brew turbo setups. The manifolds could be flipped to point forward and with some careful pipe routing, the turbos could be places to the sides and top of the engine bay. Just doesn't work on the 4.6 though.

A turbo IMO is the BEST power adder for a 4.6 if you have the money to do it right.

They make the most HP, the most torque, and are crazy fun...but at a cost.

As for your question, you may as well pass it up. You will need to re-do the whole front end of the car. I have yet to see a turbo setup that doesnt require a tubular K, and they usually require coil overs. Plus you need the hot side/charge piping, plus tune, etc.

Another important thing to note is the 2JZ turbo's arent the same size. They are designed (stock) to get one spinning up quick, and then the larger one takes it the rest of the way. So you would be putting a smaller turbo on one bank and a larger one on the other.