2nd Defective Gas Tank

sacha

Mar 31, 2005
Well my car is less than a month old and I already had the gas tank replaced about two weeks ago (not to mention I'm still waiting on my replacement shaker500). Now, my second tank is also defective. Has anyone else had problems with their replacement tanks? How can Ford issue a TSB for gas tanks and then replace defective gas tanks with...DEFECTIVE GAS TANKS?!?!?!? Needless to say, I'm pretty angry right now. On top of that, my dealer's service shop had the nerve to tell me that they're booked tomorrow and can't look at my car. To me that's completely unacceptable and they will be looking at it tomorrow. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY'RE MESSING WITH!

• Sponsors (?)

Can't remember where I read it but the fix to the gas tank may or may not
work. I think it even said they were going to stop replacing them because they were getting complaints after they got it changed.

I guess I am luck I have only had it happen once. Looks like we get to wait a bit longer to get it fixed.

ya that sucks. For me, it happened the FIRST time i tried to pump. Dam thing would take it. Then the 2nd time, it was fine, same station. I think i was lucky. Happens like once every often, but thats about it.

Sacha, same here. The replacement tank worked the first couple of times. But just now while filling it up the pump just kept shutting off. This at the same pump that worked 2 days ago. This time flipping the handle 180 degrees worked. But it still does not give me the feeling of confidence to take this car on an extended road trip. ;(

Dean Gamburd said:
Sacha, same here. The replacement tank worked the first couple of times. But just now while filling it up the pump just kept shutting off. This at the same pump that worked 2 days ago. This time flipping the handle 180 degrees worked. But it still does not give me the feeling of confidence to take this car on an extended road trip. ;(

I was fuming and eventually talked to my dealer's service manager. He's calling Ford engineering to find out why the replacement unit which they apparently recommended isn't working either. I'm not expecting much of an explanation - probably just another replacement tank and hope for the best - but I'll let you guys know if I get any details from Ford Engineering through this service manager.

Curious question on the Gas Tank Issue......Are most of you who are having problems living in CA and other states that have the Gas Vapor/Emissions hoses on the gas pump nozzles with the sensor that won't let you pump till the hose nozzle is all the way snugged up?

The first time I filled up my GT, the pump cut off a couple of times on me. I live in AL and mostly fill up at Costco. They have similar hose shrouds, but no sensor to tell if you have it in all the way. I have not had a problem since the very first fill up. I have problems with the Costco pumps on my other vehicles from time to time, so I do not insert it all the way in till it bottoms out on the filler neck.

Also...when did you buy your Mustangs? Mine was built in early Jan. Just trying to pin down a bit more info on the tank issue.

Caio'

WSD42 said:
Curious question on the Gas Tank Issue......Are most of you who are having problems living in CA and other states that have the Gas Vapor/Emissions hoses on the gas pump nozzles with the sensor that won't let you pump till the hose nozzle is all the way snugged up?

The first time I filled up my GT, the pump cut off a couple of times on me. I live in AL and mostly fill up at Costco. They have similar hose shrouds, but no sensor to tell if you have it in all the way. I have not had a problem since the very first fill up. I have problems with the Costco pumps on my other vehicles from time to time, so I do not insert it all the way in till it bottoms out on the filler neck.

Also...when did you buy your Mustangs? Mine was built in early Jan. Just trying to pin down a bit more info on the tank issue.

Caio'

I live in Canada. Got my stang about a month ago, but not sure when it was exactly built (I bought the showroom model). Also, I'm not quite sure what hose you're talking about. However, last night I tried pushing it all the way in, half in, different positions, different angles - nothing worked - it just kept spilling.

I belive my mustang is built with the new gas tank. (built March 1st) I filled up 3 times so far, all differnt gas stations. First 2 no problems. The last time was at a beacon (cheaper gas) and I had problems, had to invert the gas nozzle. No problems after that.

I live in California and have the emission controlled gas nozzles but I only have problems filling up when I fill up on Camp Pendleton (military base) out at any regular gas station I have never had a problem. I bought my Stang in December so I am thinking I had one of the early models. Hope this helps.

sometimes it fills up without a hitch. When it doesn't, then simply turning the nozzle upside down (can rest it on the cover) works fine. I don't want to take it in to fix such a trivial thing. If I had bought this car with cash on the street and it had this fillup issue, I would be way way way over it by now.... it's nothing.

I live in Virginia and have had my GT since December 16th. With 4,200 miles on the car I ahve not once had a problem with putting gas into the car. We do not have any type of vapor collecting pumps that I have seen / used at public gas stations. Do you guys believe the pumps with these devices are actually causing this issue? I remember several years ago I worked for a local city's engineering dept. and drove a Chevy blazer 4x4. Our pumps had these devices and I had a heck of a time trying to get gas into that truck. Thats what makes me think it could be the pumps and not the car. :shrug:

WSD42 said:

Caio'
dont think its a CA problem i had a v6 rental a couple weeks ago and when i went to top it off before returning it the freaking pump would shut off about every 20 cents or so.

it's not the TANK it is the hose that connect the filler to the tank. replace the hose with one larger inside diameter and the problem will go away. & yes you can turn the nossle upsidedown and the problem will go away. & you can use newer style gas pumps and there will not be an issue.

Mine was on the road here in the UK Dec 1st - so an early build. Had tank replaced 2 weeks ago, problem has mostly gone away, but has still happened once, and a little blip one time. Hopefully it is sorted out, don't want to get another tank if it is a very occasional thing - not worth it. Still crazy about this car - stopped by a woman with her family in a Tesco car park (large grocery store parking lot) who just had to see it up close! She showed me a picture in her wallet of her 69 stang! A real fan! Love to watch Brits drool over this baby!